MOTU 24i

Richie Basic

Hey there. I'm new to this message board, but I've read it a bit and people here seem pretty cool, so I'm not too weirded out to ask for advice.
OK, I've got this MOTU 24i hooked up to Cubase. The 24i only has 2 outs, so I'm doing all my mixing on cubase (so far so good), but, for going in to the 24i, I need mic pre-amps (right now I'm using the mixer from my old 8 track, which limits me to recording 8 tracks at a time). My question is, is there a good multi channel pre-amp i can use with the 24i? (I feel like I don't need a real busy mixer since I'm mixing down on Cubase anyway.) Any advice? Am I even making any sense? Thanks.

What is the max number of channels you think that you would record at one time? For the price of buying multiple mic-pre's, you may whant to look into getting a 24 channel board with balanced direct outs.

I think I prolly wouldn't do more than 16 at a time, but you never know...i like to keep my options open. Is there a relatively inexpensive 24 channel board you know of? I'm looking at the Mackie 1604 and alesis32 right now (which are 16 channel, i know, but i'm not opposed to springing for a 24 channel if it's possible).

Of the two boards you mentioned, I would go with the Alesis 32 because it has 16 Direct Outs. The other board has only 8. If you want to look into a 24 Channel board, I would look into a 24 Channel Mackie although a new one will run you over $2,000.

Thanks for the input. I found a (new) 24 channel Mackie for about $1300 with 24 direct outs, so I think I'll try to pick that us as soon as I get the bix together. thanks for your help.

I hope MOTU comes out with a 24o for 24 outputs. I started my MOTU system with the 2408 and used a couple of Korg ADAT compatible boards. I got my hands on a better board so I now have the MOTU 1224 for 8 Balanced I/O. To increase my Balanced I/O, I bought an Alesis AI3. This unit provides me with an additional 8 channels and is hooked up to the 2408 via the lightpipe. The AI3 was cheaper than buying another 1224. I wanted the 1224 mainly because of the LED meters it provides for monitoring audio levels.

The LEDs on the Motu stuff are pretty handy and accurate. A Motu 24o would be hot. I'm still getting started with cubase (I used to record 8 track analog) and mixing on the PC isn't nearly as annoying as I thought it would be. The EQs in Cubase have a whole lot of range, and I think there's a way to automate the board, but I still have to learn that. Like I said earlier, though, the big problem is that I need mic preamps but have no real use for a mixing board. What to do?

Back