MOTU 2408 on a PC...

schwa

Hey Folks,

I am a SONAR/Aark user who is getting tired of waiting for WDM drivers. I am also thinking in the future of integrating a digital mixer in the furture to solve the dreaded "control surface" problem. Looking around, I came across the MOTU 2408. It seems great on Spec:

8 ins and outs (that sounded dirty)
24 channels of digital i/o (both tascam and ADAT)
a couple of spdifs,
word clock i/o
and WDM Drivers!

I seem to recall some grumbling about MOTU being very mac centric. Has this changed? Has anyone had specific luck or trouble with this card? Of course the web site says it will work great, but sometimes they're a little too optimistic. The local music store would find this question way over their head.

Please share your experiences, espeically if you have used this card with a digital mixer (and MMC) and/or the WDM drivers.

I'm using a 2408 mkII with a P III 700MHz PC and it jams. It won't run their bundled recording software, it only works with Mac. Personally I use Vegas and occassionally, Cakewalk 9 to tweek ADAT tracks. I've been running it hard for almost a year with no complaints.

I have a MOTU 1224 which connects to the same PCI-324 card with the same drivers and everything. It kicks ass in my opinion, been using it for a couple years now (on a PC). My only complaint is that it was a long time before they started releasing win2k drivers (just within the past few months) and the beta ones that are out there seem to be crap so far. Either that or Logic Audio just runs like crap on Win2k, but all the errors and problems are related to the performance of the audio system.

2408 MKII

A 2408 MKII user for 3 years and it works well in my system
MMC - along with my BRC and 3 adats and Cubase is fine.

Cant run their bundled software though, as Track Rat said "it's for MAC".

I have it hooked to my Digital Mixer also, to run MMC also

Record in Cubase, tweak a little there, tweak a little in the Digital Mixer to store mix, fader adjustments etc.., send it optically to adat then record vocals (digitally), but listen back to all 24 track on my analogue board to tweak vocals.

2408 keeps sync solid for setup

Back