MOTU 2408 MKII and Latency

Scottgman

Legend in Own Mind
Hey all. I recently got a MOTU MKII. I'm having latency problems. I'm using Sonar 4. Right now, the latency is around 23ms and that is as far left as the slider can go.

I tried going into the MOTU control panel and changing the buffer size. This got the latency down to 5ms but there were too many dropouts to record. The default buffer size was 1000 and I tried every option below 1000. They all worked great latency-wise (it was inaudible) but would cause bad dropouts.

I had a Delta 1010 on the same computer with no problems with latency or dropouts.

I'm wondering if I should just bypass the input monitoring all together? My chain right now is Mic --> RNP --> RNC --> MOTU. For tracking, I feed the headphones from the MOTU headphone output into a Behringer headphone amp.

If I could split the signal coming out of the RNC, I could route it all through a mixer and avoid the latency all together, right?

Any ideas?

Have you tried using MOTU's cuemix feature? This will loop all the incoming signals out of the unit before running through your DAW app resulting in no latency, and allowing you to keep your buffers up enough to not have dropouts. Dropouts due to buffereing is very much realted to how much you have going on in your mix between track count and realtime calculations (i.e. plugins).

Doh!

Ok, so that sounds like what I need. I didn't see a Cuemix option anywhere in the options. But now that I think about it... I think there is a MOTU folder in the Start menu that has a CueMix icon. The computer is at my drummer's house, so I will look for CueMix options when I go over there today.

Do you have to use a specific output on the MOTU interface?

Thanks for your help!

Back