Motherboard w/sound?

Monkey

Cabin boy
So I'm about to buy a few new parts and basically have a new computer. I want to buy a motherboard/CPU combo, probably gonna do it off pricewatch.com, but some of the ones I like with Athlon chips say they come with sound built in. Is this likely to be a problem when I try to install a real sound card made for recording? Also does anybody think it's a big deal to have only 2 PCI slots?

On-board sound is hard to avoid these days, but it's nothing to worry about, it can be disabled in bios usually.

2 PCI slots is a bit lame. I'd look at other motherboards, that low number of slots indicates a cheapo board.

Look for Microstar, ASUS boards.

From what I could gather, onboard sound comes with most if not all mobo's at this point and time. I got myself an ASUS A7N8X DELUXE mobo...and installed a delta 66, to go with the pre-existing onboard sound. So *far* everything runs great, (even if my recordings dont :D )

Definately check around as to exactly what soundcard you are going to use and compatibility issues with particular mobo's....and chipsets.

How would I even go about checking compatibility? I don't know much about this stuff--the term "chipset" means nothing to me, for instance. I haven't bought the soundcard or the motherboard yet--maybe someone could suggest a combination of the two that would work alright.

The chances are high that I will buy my motherboard/chip combo off pricewatch.com because it is cheap and I am on a tight budget. I would like to spend about $250 tops for a motherboard, sound card, case, a video card if it's not built in to the motherboard, and some RAM (I have the other parts already). This seems quite feasible with what they have, I just need to know if I'm going to have problems making stuff work together.

Thanks for your help by the way--I am trying to buy the parts in the next few days and want to make a good decision.

Abit makes some without sound and
video. I build a dual pIII w/ an ABIT
but the last one I bought was a single AMD Ath. We like this machine a lot.
We use the RAID one... and its comforting to know, even if you don't use the RAID at first, that you can add a ton
more drives and get the RAID 0 speed advantage if you need it.
KX7-333R. No junky extras, just solid reliabilty and decent performance.
Lots of slots. I bought a couple of
ASUS MBs after that, and they have been problems for us with memory compatibility and lock ups.

Back