Votes: 1 20.0%
  • Cubase User Forum

Votes: 2 40.0%
  • Cubase User Forum

Votes: 1 20.0%

• Total voters

jitteringjim

Insert Custom Title Here
Hey guys, I've been lurking here for awhile... and have held off on posting concerning this subject, but I can't take it anymore.

Q: blah, blah, blah, blah?
A: If you read the manual, the answer will become clear to you grasshopper.

Bullshit.

I understand that the reason this became the standard reply was because so many cracked copy users were asking questions concerning Cubase. No manual with cracked copies, usually - so, no manual, no buy, no help. Hey, I can dig that - but it has become the standard reply, period. I guess some assume that all but themselves are using pirated copies, I dunno.

Try this asshole, if you don't want to answer the question - don't type a reply and hit the send button. What a fucking waste of bandwidth. I could type "read the fucking manual" in almost any forum, in reply to almost any thread and have it be a valid answer. Hell, that is, not even having to read the fucking question.

You wanna flame me? Ok, so what. My reply to you is straight from the manual: "Fuck you, fuck you, and oh, you too, sir." (p.42)

No flaming here, Jim.
I'm with you 100% on the "RTFM" responses. (And I am sure there are others who agree who regularly check this forum).

I just went thru this shit with a guy on here about Wave Lab. I asked a simple question, and got the standard reply. I'm normally a Sonar user, but I got Wave Lab and just wanted to get it going real quick, and received a lecture instead. What do we have to do, post our registration numbers? Maybe if there was a forum out there designed specifically for users of cracked software, it would thin things out here, and we could get some straight answers. But I hear ya, and I agree. This is bullshit.
Ed

Hey ed, the replies to your post are kind of what set me off... I was more than a bit irritated when I made my initial post. That being said, I need to clarify that not all of the folks who hang out here are guilty of "RTFM Syndrome," and it's not the standard answer - but a standard reply. I've seen it too many times for my liking, though - I mean, if one wants to reply as such, perhaps one should include the manual page number, hmmm? Sounds like a good compromise to me.

Well, I wasn't going to add on this thread but after Ed's response I guess I feel like I should since he feels so angry about the response he got.

First off, as someone who checks this forum every day, and often several times a day, to say that this is the most worthless forum is simply not true. There are lots of people who have gotten lots of help from those of us who post here. I can find loads of other threads that are much more worthless. Even the most valuable forums like the mic forum has bunches of people always willing to stir up trouble and flame. It wasn't too long ago if Alan Hyatt even said "I like mic's!" it would be followed with the usual "spam police" proaganda and flames.

Second, there are posters here who when they reference the manual, do give page numbers. One of our members does this regularly, yet for some reason this still upsets the people who ask. Wonder why? I would also add that I have never seen a RTFM response to a contributing member here.

What I do agree with Jim with is the need to give the RTFM response. In all my posts I think I have only referenced the manual maybe twice and in both cases it was a legit reference with an idea of where to look and not just a RTFM. I don't think RTFM really does much but create bad feelings so I usually let my silence do the talking. But what also creates bad feelings is when someone thinks their time is more valuable than other peoples time and they come here and post a question that is so simple and basic that you know they havn't even made one attempt on their own to read about how to use their software. They think that it is someone else's duty to take the time to type out the basics of the software. They want someone to help them but they aren't willing to help themselves.

When I first came here I used to be on lots, responding where I could help out, even going so far as to look up links for requested info. Then one day when I took like a good twenty minutes of explaining some basic material and followed it up with "this stuff and more can be found in the manual" I got a very honest response:
"I can't be bothered reading the manual"

Think about that for a second and think about what it means. He seemed to think I had all the time in the world and that I should be at his disposal answering his questions because he couldn't be bothered? How selfish can you be? I took so much time trying to help because I really appreciate it when people help me but I quit offering up so much advice after that, and now I choose who I am willing to give advice to. I find that people like that are rarely ones like me who will turn around and devote 10 times the amount of time they recieved advice, on helping others out later. They usually go away quickly once someone has held their hand through the learning process.

The truth is, the manual for Cubase is very clear and easy to read for the basics. It can get a bit more difficult to understand in the really complex commands and abilities.

Personally I don't give the RTFM responses. Do I think they are neccissary? No. But I find them no more offensive than someone who is trying to waste other peoples time out of laziness. Are those posts neccissary? No.

So where am i going with all of this? I think 90% of the responses here are not RTFM, and the 10% that are are to suspected crack users, or people like the above mentioned. Like I said before, personally I let my silence do the talking.

Peace and happy music making everyone.

good post, bmk.

I too post advice in the reciprocal spirit, knowing how much I've been helped here. What discourages me even more from helping are newbie posters who ask questions, get answered and never acknowledge the help they've received or the people that have provided it. I mean, I don't think I need to be thanked profusely but I swear I'm leading the board in threads ended.

miles

Indeed, a good reply Bass Master.

You're one of the folks I didn't want to offend, and I felt the need to clarify my first post. I did post in anger, which is something I don't usually do - perhaps overgeneralizing a bit. ;)

I recently made the switch to Cubase from Samplitude, which I've been using for 3-4 years. At first it seemed a bit intimidating, but I've got a handle on it... I don't consider myself an expert, however, so I don't usually post on troubleshooting Qs.

At any rate, I just felt that a lot of what I've been reading wasn't in the true spirit of this site, which is about making music -

Oh, and I have a manual. :D

The manual can be downloaded off of the Steinberg website, so even owning a manual doesn't mean your copy is legit.
We went through a couple of threads only a month or two ago about cracked software. I remember an arguement between myself and Bass Master K rather fondly........ He won of course.
There does seem to be a lot scepticism about cracked copies, not something I agree with totally as I think now thats its up to a persons conscience as to how they aquired their copy. Myself? Through months of saving and going without........
Oh, and although the manual can be clear in places, I find it on the whole too confusing. Maybe its dislexia......

Hye, I don't use Cubase, but I can tell you that as a person who writes manuals for a living, the explanation that is written there is usually well-crafted and technically correct.

Whereas, Joe User has about a 60% chance of getting it right, unless he's one of the really sharp people on the BBs, and they just don't waste their time answering "button/dialog box/window" type questions. I see stuff that is blatantly wrong written here all the time.

And the users who have written or read manuals usually would rather not rewrite the exact same thing that's already been written somewhere else.

I've seen the extreme case on the Digidesign User Conference, where people jsut copy the text straight out of the PDF file and post it as an answer. That works, but it's just as smarmy as giving a page number, right?

P.S. of course, you never know how the manuals will be for all this German software...

Well, I am absolutely NOT going to get into a big pissing contest over this, but I want to respond one more time. To Bass Master K: I NEVER said this was the most worthless forum. I've re-read my post sveral times, and I don't see where I said that. I also did not respond to the "poll", tounge-in-cheek as it may have been. Also, I have not personally had anyone give me a reference to a specific page in the manual. If you've seen it, fine, but I haven't. As far as the manual itself is concerned, yes, the Cubase manual may be very well-written and quite helpful, but it is of little value to a person who was asking questions about WaveLab. My problem was not a matter of reading the manual or not. I explained that I had just gotten the program. Have you ever seen the WaveLab manual? I've seen smaller dictionaries. I was excited! Like a little kid with a new sucker. I installed, opened up a wave, and wanted to add an effect to just a small part of it. Couldn't figure it out, so I quickly posted a question, and continued to goof around. After that, all hell broke loose, and I was immediately reduced to the ranks of those lazy, software-cracking pirate bastards who don't know their asses from their elbows, and wound up defending myself. Well, the guy made me feel so damn guilty, I had to look in the manual, and the procedure was so simple that I posted it myself, and it took a fraction of the space and time it took this guy to unload a big editorial about how I could find all that I was seeking in the manual. So, my point was this: If your first inclination is to respond with 'read the manual', why waste the bandwidth? It's a useless response, it pisses people off, and it makes the person saying it look like an arrogant, holier-than-thou prick. So, Bass Master K, I admire your silence!! At least you've developed the ability to help the ones you feel are in need, and to shut up about the ones that are a waste of time. Knowing what you know now about my WaveLab situation, would you have taken a couple minutes to help me out, or would you have given me the ol' standby? Certainly you haven't forgotten the excitement of new toys! Sorry to be so long-winded. One thing for certain: I will think long and hard about posting anything here again. And for the most part, these guys are right. The answers are there, if you just look for them. I certainly didn't intend to waste anyone's time.
Ed

Hey Jim...no offence taken man. Like I said, I have never been a RTFM person and I knew your comments weren't directed at me. That's why I didn't really bother to reply at first. (Let me also say that even when negative comments ARE directed at me I am not the kind to get all offended and start flaming. I listen to what people have to say, look at it from all angles, try to see the truth, try to see the falsehood, and try to learn from it all. Those of you who know me here know I am one for spirited discussion and the sharing of thoughts and philosophies, not flaming wars.)

Jim, I understand where your coming from...I have frequently had threads hit me the wrong way at the wrong time and I have wanted to reach through the screen and strangle someone. I agreed with alot of what you said, just not that this is a useless forum here (I know you meant the poll tongue in cheek). Let me also say that there are one or two people here that DO go to the RTFM card a bit too much in my opinion, but in the same way I keep quiet about "I don't want to read the manual" posts, I keep quiet about the RTFM ones as well.

I decided to respond to help Ed understand what was going on. I flet like he was kind of like a first timer to Manhattan who is about to step out into the street and not realise he is about to get nailed by taxi's flying by.

Ed, I had to type my message quickly at work so I apologize if it wasn't clear. I never said that you said it was a worthless forum, I was responding to Jim's poll and/or opinion of the forum. I think lots of people have been helped here. Also I understand that your problem was related to WaveLab and not Cubase, but this same issue has come up many many times before (just not to this magnitude) and since it is a Cubase forum I was using that as the reference.

Much like Jim, I worked with the manual and Cubase and got myself up and running. If I occationally run into a bump that the manual just doesn't help with (hasn't happened yet) then I will ask questions. Most my posts are asking for peoples opinions about equiptment, or trying to help people out here. What I was trying to point out Ed, is that people can get frustrated when someone new posts here and they post a question that can quickly and easily be found by a little looking on the part of the poster...much quicker than it takes to type the question and wait for someone to take time to respond. I told you my example and I was personally a bit offended that someone would think so little of other peoples time as to have that attitude. I think two of your statements back this up:

"My problem was not a matter of reading the manual or not."
and
"Well, the guy made me feel so damn guilty, I had to look in the manual, and the procedure was so simple that I posted it myself, ..."

This was my point. I don't think your a crack user. I don't think your a bad guy. I don't think you deserved the berating you got, but I am trying to explain why you may have gotten it. (RE: Crack Users: Neil posted one of the wisest things in all of this...the downloadable manuals make it impossible to counter crack users with a page number anymore. We had a member who used to use that all the time and it would really get the crack users pissy)

Anyhow Ed, yes I have had a new toy and wanted to play with it really bad. When I couldn't get it to work I used the manual. I know not everyone is like me. But after finding myself spending hours trying to help others out of some sense of loyalty to the website and Cubase, I found I was spending too much time here and so now I have to be more choosy about who I answer. Any post that starts with "I looked in the manual but couldn't find" or "The manual isn't clear on this" I will always do my best to help out if there is any way I can (so now you all know the secret :D). I guess it's a bit of the "Give a man a fish vs. Teach a man to fish" philosophy. All my first post was trying to do is let you know why (I am assuming of course I do not know what was in Rokers head) you may have been met with a less than friendly response.

I am sorry that you were met with this response because I like friendly forums where people can share ideas and info and respect each other and everyone gets along and learns. If I can't post an answer that reflects those ideals then I just remain silent and don't post.

Neil: There was no winning or losing that discussion my friend, just sharing ideas and philosophies ;)

I hope this was clear...after rereading it all, and all of this thread I think it may be quicker just to answer the basic question posts after all, lol :D
Good luck and I hope everyone is making awesome music!

Whenever I saw a reply that says : "Read the manual!" the question made it clear that the person who was asking it didn't even try reading the manual, that's why they got that response...One more thing...
If you think that : "Stay the hell out of it if you don't wanna help" is the right response to someone who tells you to read the manual....IT'S NOT...It's a fucking senseless statement, because YOU WASTED THAT PERSONS TIME making them look at your post
which was result of you making no effort to read the manual.....THAT'S WHY THEY SAY : "READ THE FUCKING MANUAL!!"
And if you think the forum is crap why post????

No offense...didn't mean to address anyone personally...just saying in general....
Maybe we need to have a "NON MANUAL READERS FORUM":D :D

Bass Master "K" said:
Neil: There was no winning or losing that discussion my friend, just sharing ideas and philosophies ;)

Totally man.
Learnt a lot of respect for you and others on the board from that thread.

Bass Master K: Thanks for clearing things up. I hear ya, and I know now not to post until I'm ready to put a gun to my head. You're a sensible, level-headed dude.

Roker1: You have issues, man. Nobody MAKES you read a stupid post in a forum. If I had that kind of power, I would have MADE you answer me from the get-go, and avoided all this shit. Good luck, and I'll be steering clear of you from here on out. What an attitude.

Ed

when I said "made someone look at the question" that means someone who has some sort of experience related to the title of your post (cubase, cakewalk etc.).....not sure who has issues
man because you get cut when someone tells you to read something and you technically tell them to get stuffed because you didn't get your answer...mate I didn't mean to post this, you're obviously a young chap (judging by the way you talk to people who try to tell you something useful) who shouldn't get that excited over nothing.......you should not address me personally in your post because I didn't address mine to anyone, but I said it was general (you probably didn't even read my post to the end, you just wanted to tell me off and show how "smart" you are so you were in a hurry to reply)...
But whatever my friend, this really is a waste of my time
I, however, hope you make good music..and I won't mind if you steer clear of me, NOT AT ALL....:)

the more you teach (share) the more you"ll retain

rtfm with page numbers referenced are great or else silence please
the only thing is That STeinberg's manuals are mostly missing one last minor detail so sometimes you wanna know how ppl be doing it
for example
the manual COULD tell you in order to use the same name for a audio part in the same project you'll have to empty the trash in your pool but it won't tell you how to get to the pool
because under the project menu part of the manual it was explained how to get there so no need to revisit

i like 2 read and write codes in my vehicle listening to waves rushing to the beach so the pdf manual as practical as it is is not all that great because a quick look up is not that quick if i have to turn on my computer first
but it's greatly convenient otherwise
btw wifey made me a manual out that damn pdf

Guidance ;) :D :D

hey, jitteringizmothing, i think you ought to check the manual about that... it will all be clear as... coffee... after that..

Let us not forget that the written word is very two dimensional, and that what makes sense to one person... can be gibberish to another.

I have read many manuals that I swear were written by people whose native language was foreign to me... like they ran the whole thing through some sort of language translator to get it into English.

My main gripe is that often, the instructions assume you know everything else about the item... except the question you are asking. Then the answer (although technically correct) is useless.

Writing a technical manual is truly an art of its own. Many companies have one of the engineers put it together... that's their first mistake. Some people don't know how to "dumb it down" so that everyone can understand it.

Simply telling someone to "read the fucking manual" helps no one that has... and still does not understand it.

jitteringjim said:
Hey guys, I've been lurking here for awhile... and have held off on posting concerning this subject, but I can't take it anymore.

Q: blah, blah, blah, blah?
A: If you read the manual, the answer will become clear to you grasshopper.

Bullshit.

I understand that the reason this became the standard reply was because so many cracked copy users were asking questions concerning Cubase. No manual with cracked copies, usually - so, no manual, no buy, no help. Hey, I can dig that - but it has become the standard reply, period. I guess some assume that all but themselves are using pirated copies, I dunno.

Try this asshole, if you don't want to answer the question - don't type a reply and hit the send button. What a fucking waste of bandwidth. I could type "read the fucking manual" in almost any forum, in reply to almost any thread and have it be a valid answer. Hell, that is, not even having to read the fucking question.

You wanna flame me? Ok, so what. My reply to you is straight from the manual: "Fuck you, fuck you, and oh, you too, sir." (p.42)

Couldn't put it better.

Back