Most under-rate/under-exposed guitarist...

nate_dennis

We had a thread a while ago about the most over-rated guitarist. So lets go the opposite way. Who is amazing and just never gets the credit/respect they deserve? They don't have to be unknown just . . . underappreciated. I leave it to you.

Doug Pettibone - Lucinda Williams/Buick 6
Rob Baker - The Tragically Hip
Robert Smith - The Cure
John Frusciante - RHCP
...;)

Marc Ribot

Oh hell yeah! He has the most punchy, powerful guitar tone. Do you have any info on his gear? It sounds like a hollow-body guitar with some heavy-ass strings into a Fender Twin or something like that. It's clean with a little bit of grit, but he just hammers every note, I just love it. His work on Tom Waits' Real Gone is just incredible. "Hoist That Rag" is one of my favorite guitar solos ever.

Seafroggys said:
Jeff Beck

Just last night I caught Jeff Beck on Palladia HD doing a show with his current band. I had never actually sat and watched him play. Holy shit! Not only is his tone just awesome with his array of Marshall Heads, but his phrasing and touch are just amazing. His use of the tremolo bar along with his fingerpicking style on a Strat is just unparalleled anywhere else in music. I was very, very impressed. I'm not so crazy about the genre in which he operates, the whole jazz fusion thing, but my goodness he can sing through that axe.

How about Derek Trucks?

Derek Trucks was the first guitarist I'd seen in a long time that truly impressed me when I first heard him a few years ago. His expression on his instrument is just amazing. Fingerpicking with a slide on a Gibson SG? Wow, he's another one that can just sing through that guitar. So expressive, so silky smooth.

Or how about Dan Auerbach?

Operating in a two-piece band without a bassist, he gets the entire frequency spectrum to his self and he comes up with some crushing guitar tones! Oh man, almost every song I've heard from the Black Keys sounds like he's pushing his amps to the brink of a fiery explosion. If you ever want to hear hard evidence of the reason why people love tube amps instead of solid state amps, listen to any Black Keys album from start to finish.

And definitely Elliott Smith.

Smith's guitar work is deceptively complex. Sit down with a couple of his songs and try to transcribe the guitar parts. He's all over the place! He follows the chord changes in such interesting ways, it's pretty amazing to break it down.

Oh, and Willie Nelson.

I got to see him do a rather brief set opening for the Dave Matthews Band at Fenway Park in Boston. His improv soloing on "Trigger" is actually really impressive.

It's good to find another Elliott Smith fan! Yeah, his guitar picking was amazing!! Derek Trucks is great too!

I'm going to place my vote for Nels Kline (currently) of Wilco. He is sick! I think he is a perfect blend of "shred" and "feel" player.

Sam Zurick of Make Believe and Joan of Arc. I don't know enough guitarists to make a claim on "most under rated" but I think Sam Zurick is underrated.

Elliot Smith rocks but I don't really think he's under rated.

Dave Barbour

Played for Peggy Lee and had one of the finest tones and his chops were the perfect compliment to his wifes vocal.

Homer Haynes was a great guitar player too!

Anybody out there hear of a guy name Pat Kirtley?

Pat Donahue is also an amazing side man/solo act

But what about Bryan Sutton?

I suppose it comes from being the second guitar player in a band with Robert Fripp, but I've always felt that Adrian Belew never got as much credit as he deserved. On that early eighties Crimson stuff, he's doing most of the same shit as Fripp (or at least, the interlocking part) - WHILE SINGING! Not to mention some really amazing parts and songs all his own.

David Rhodes, who has played on just about everything Peter Gabriel has ever done is really great too.

Oh, and Reeves Gabrel is really amazing.

George Harrison. Listen to some of that stuff some time.

Also, all y'all are mentioning too many of my customers - I must be the the luthier to the under-rated guitarist or something.

Light

"Cowards can never be moral."
M.K. Gandhi

Last edited:
Oh hell yeah! He has the most punchy, powerful guitar tone. Do you have any info on his gear? It sounds like a hollow-body guitar with some heavy-ass strings into a Fender Twin or something like that. It's clean with a little bit of grit, but he just hammers every note, I just love it. His work on Tom Waits' Real Gone is just incredible. "Hoist That Rag" is one of my favorite guitar solos ever.

if you like his stuff check out his latin band
Marc Ribot Y Los Cubanos Postizos

Hows this for gear, I also usually associate him with a Gibson ES125 :
Marc_Ribot.jpg

I see your point, but he doesn't really get talked about for his guitar chops. He gets talked about for what an amazing songwriter he was. But yeah, he (as a whole) is not under-rated.

Exactly my point. While he gets talked about quite a bit, it's not his guitar playing that's the center of attention. He really did have a unique way of coming up with guitar parts to fit with his complex chord changes.

Hell, take a song as simple sounding as "Pictures Of Me" off of Either/Or. Sit down with that song and try to transcribe it. As basic as it sounds at first listen, he actually has a pretty complex acoustic guitar arrangement going on there.

daav said:
Hows this for gear, I also usually associate him with a Gibson ES125

Cool pic! Wow, what an array of gidgets he's got there! The guitar leaning against the amp looks kind of like a Fender Corornado (a semi-hollow). The amp does, in fact, look like a 2x12 Twin or some other silver-face Fender (probably a Vibrolux from what I've read).

Yes, the ES125 seems to be a favorite but I've seen him playing some hollowbodies with P90 pickups too. I stumbled across this thread with some good info while Googling around:

http://acapella.harmony-central.com/archive/index.php/t-937599.html

I think Neil Zaza deserves much more praise than he gets. "Staring at the Sun" is one of the best instrumental guitar albums I've ever heard; it really has it all. Great songwriting, great melodic phrasing, amazing tone (he does a lot with on-the-edge-of-breakup clean tones on that album, and they're just gorgeous), and every once in a while he'll just open up and tear your head off before going back to these wonderful sing-able melodies. He's one of my favorites, but he's very little known it seems.

This last year I "discovered" Randy Jacobs - total mofo IMO... plays without a pick and I love his tone:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GFReAsIfn6c

Leslie West pretty much is the Grandfather of Heavy Metal, but still lots of people never heard of him - he's possessed!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KszD_MfB798

I always thought that George Harrison was very underated; both his playing and that he influenced guitar tone and playing a lot.

MTV and the like seem to be apeshit about Eric Clapton but ignore Jeff Beck pretty much completely... I never understood that.

MTV and the like seem to be apeshit about Eric Clapton but ignore Jeff Beck pretty much completely... I never understood that.
MTV has ignored music in general for about 20 years.

Jeff Beck would need to do something commercially successful to get Eric's notoriety.

The best guitar player in the world is probably some guy that never made it out of his bedroom. You will never hear about him because he can't work with others, can't write music that anyone wants to listen to and, in general, has just spent way too much time in his bedroom playing guitar.

MTV has ignored music in general for about 20 years.

Jeff Beck would need to do something commercially successful to get Eric's notoriety.

The best guitar player in the world is probably some guy that never made it out of his bedroom. You will never hear about him because he can't work with others, can't write music that anyone wants to listen to and, in general, has just spent way too much time in his bedroom playing guitar.

I so agree.

We used to say that the best guitarist is probably playing a Holiday Inn for $70 tonight in Texas tonight, and like you said, you'll never hear about him.

The whole concept of best guitarist, best drummer, all that has been going on forever. It's always stupid and seems like trying to make music into a sport event.

Last edited:
The whole concept of best guitarist, best drummer, all that has been going on forever. It's always stupid and seems like trying to make music into a sport event.

I understand your point, but that's not what I was trying to say/do at all. I just really like finding "new" music. It's always interesting to me that people like EVH get all this hype, but really don't do anything new or even all that musical, IMHO. So it's just intersting to find people who are under-rated or under-appreciated.

Back