most important...

Botinok

first of all, i do mainly hip-hop production.

right now my signal chain is this:

shure sm7b(primary) or SP C1 > dmp3(primary) or vtb1 > DBX160xt > lexicon effects processor (sometimes) > delta 44 > p4 2.3 ghz 2 gig ram DAW > behringer BCF2000 > m-audio BX8's

we are corrently in the process of renting office space and getting an isolation room built so we can open for commercial recording, but will happen in no less then 6 months.

Im wondering what you guys think would be the best upgrade for me ATM. I know that i should upgrade preamp and monitors, and get an outboard EQ...
but what would you guys recommend doing first?

thanks in advance.

You've got a fairly decent setup right there.

But really, you could upgrade just about anything / everything. The dbx160 is actually pretty good, and I think you could get by with it in a "comercial" setting. Ditto on the Lexicon, and the SM7 is definitely a keeper.

But pretty much everything else you have is mostly low to mid-grade. Probably the first place I would start, though, would be with the monitors. Put some good money in to them, and the investment will be returned. The first step in all of this is make sure you're hearing everything. If you can't hear it like you need to be able to hear it, then you're much more likely to make critical misjudgements while tracking or mixing (or in your future gear purchases).

Plus, if you actually manage to get anyone to pay you to record them, then good monitors are necessary for impressing the client, so that he/she can hear just how brilliant (or tragic) you've made them sound.

chessrock said:
...Probably the first place I would start, though, would be with the monitors...

Yep, get your room set up properly and get really good monitors. That's where I would start.

chessrock said:
You've got a fairly decent setup right there.

But really, you could upgrade just about anything / everything. The dbx160 is actually pretty good, and I think you could get by with it in a "comercial" setting. Ditto on the Lexicon, and the SM7 is definitely a keeper.

But pretty much everything else you have is mostly low to mid-grade. Probably the first place I would start, though, would be with the monitors.

Yeah, that sounds like good advice.

The other thing to think of is: why are you upgrading? Do you have problems with your current results? if so, what are they. OR are you looking to bring in name brand stuff that potential clients want to see, in which case, you should be asking your clients what gear they wish you had.

well a little bit of both...but mainly i want to up the quality. I have no problem with my current gear, but i feel that i am restricted by what it can do. im looking for that punch that quality gear can bring, along with some name brands that will be inviting to the clients.

Botinok said:
well a little bit of both...but mainly i want to up the quality. I have no problem with my current gear, but i feel that i am restricted by what it can do. im looking for that punch that quality gear can bring, along with some name brands that will be inviting to the clients.

The name brands that might impress clients would include Neuman mics, Genelec monitors, Pro Tools and a big mixing desk.

The other stuff (better quality, punch, etc.) isn't nearly as gear-related as you might think. That's all about you and your mad skills (or lack thereof), my friend.

alright..thanks for the advice..i am running pro tools LE and i dont really have a need for a big mixing desk ATM...but ill look into what you said..thanks alot!

Dr Dre is big on the Neve sound. Great for bass and vocals. An 1176 or an LA2A is a staple of most studios.

Don't forget to save a grand or more for acoustic treatment.

Back