Most basic question ever

gambetta

Right now, I am simply playing my keyboard and using cakewalk to get the different instrument lines on file, after which the computer transmits the midi back to my keyboard and voila...a song.
Ok, let's say I buy a USB audio device with midi in/out. Is it possible to link my keyboard through that device via midi, and then link the the stereo headphone output of my keyboard to the analog inputs of that same device in order to record my song on that same computer in stereo??? That is, can a USB port handle both midi and analog(?) signals at the same time???? Or do I need to get myself a second computer or recording device???

OK, you can start laughing now, and send me the homerecording book for dummies along the way :)!

Thanks!

Actually, there is a home recording book in the 'Dummies' series (written by Jeff Strong) and it contains a lot of good information for beginners. Of course, the author thinks the Alesis 3630 is a pretty good compressor...

As for your question, I don't see why your USB device couldn't process audio and MIDI at the same time. I suspect any piece of outboard audio hardware which comes with line level and/or XLR inputs as well MIDI can handle both at once. I own an Aardvark Q10 and have done exactly what you describe.

The only problem I see is connecting your keyboard headphone output to your USB audio input jack. Your USB device probably expects a line level input and the keyboard headphone out jack is meant to drive headphones. You could take a chance and try it but one of two situations will occur; the headphone output will either be too hot or too low for the USB line in jack. In the former case you will get distortion and possibly damage your USB input (start with the headphone level turned way down as a precaution), in the latter case you will have to turn up the headphone level to get a decent level for the USB device.

It would definitely be better if you could use a line out jack from your keyboard.

Phyl said:
Actually, there is a home recording book in the 'Dummies' series (written by Jeff Strong) and it contains a lot of good information for beginners. Of course, the author thinks the Alesis 3630 is a pretty good compressor...
:eek: Hence the "Dummy" in the Dummies series!

:D :D

Phyl said:
It would definitely be better if you could use a line out jack from your keyboard.

Well, I have 2 main line out jacks (1/4") and 6 subs, so no shortage there, but don't you need to run the signal from these outputs through a pre-amp in order to get a decent signal? I tried by using a series of adapters to hook up the main output jacks to a line in on my current (old) soundcard, and all I got ws terrible noise, and a very low keyboard signal! Or will a decent soundcard take care of that problem?

Thanks for the reply Phyl you're helping me out here!! ;)

I'm assuming the two line out jacks you mentioned are the left and right channels, that is, your keyboard offers a stereo output. One of them is usually also labelled 'mono' for those times when you want both the left and right channel mixed to one output.

If this is the case then these two line outputs would go directly to the line inputs of your USB audio device. Pre-amps are only necessary when working with extrememly small signals like those produced by microphones. Running a line level signal through a pre-amp would produce the distortion you describe.

Lower end sound cards that come with most computers have a single 1/8" line in jack which is of the tip/ring/sleeve variety, that is, both the left and right channels as well as ground are input on this one jack. You can but a 'Y' cable with two 1/4" plugs at one end and a single 1/8" plug at the other end, this is how lot of people connect the sound card to external devices.

Let us know how it works out.

If your version of Cakewalk supports soundfonts on the SBLive soundcard, get a OEM/whitebox version online for ~$35, and use soundfonts instead. There are thousands of free soundfonts online of varying quality (some general banks are <2 megs, some are >100 megs), and SBL's can run them with very little latency if you've got the RAM. Your keyboard isn't used except as a MIDI controller. -The SBL has a gameport-type MIDI plug and I doubt the OEM will include the cable, so you'll have to buy that too.
-Cakewalk should be able to record the audio itself, but if it can't (sometimes Home Studio 2002 don't...), the SBL has its own recording software that can record anything it plays.

Back