More tips On Hip-Hop

Moebetta

Moebetta

More info on what to get when starting out.

First I would like to say thanks a million for the tips fellas. The info so far has helped tremendously in giving me an idea of how to get started. The system I'm currently building will have a somewhere between 633-800Mhz processing speed. I'm gonna start out with 128Mgs of RAM, and a 10-15Ghz Hard drive. A friend of mine recommended Sound Blaster Platinum as the sound card of choice. So I guess that about covers the hardware. As far as software is concerned, from what I've been reading it seems Cakewalk is pretty popular. I've also heard of another but can't recall the name of it right now. I'm gonna head to a music shop and check out the both of'em before I purchase one.
The live recording I was speaking of was studio recording of musicians. I happen to know a few Jazz cats that can really play and I would like to be able to work with them in the studio.
Now as far as budget is concerned I plan on spending between $1500-$2000 by the end of this year. Not including the money I'm spending on the computer. So there you have it. Any further tips will be greatly appreciated.

Peace,
Mo'betta

Well, get a better soundcard for starters - if you plan on recording drums etc. you will want more inputs than 2. With the xtra $2000 you have I would suggest a good set of monitors, a decent 4 or 8 input soundcard, and a good poweramp.

Not a Calkwalk fan, it works for some though. Check out of demo's of Cubase, Vegas and Logic before you decide to go down the Calkwalk road.

Thanks to Emeric (recording genius?!)

Emeric

Thanks a Mill for throwin some of those other brands at me man. I'll definatly check those out. I'm anxiouse, but I really dont need to rush because that could prove to be disastrouse for my wallet. What type of power amps do you think i should take a look at?

Ant other tips will be greatly appreciated!
Peace2All'
Mo'betta

Im with Emeric, Cubase is the way to go. I used to work in a studio back in 1993 when I was 18, and we used Cakewalk. 7 years later, Cakewalk has made many changes, but I still dont think that it is user friendly.

I am using Cubase VST 5.0 with a MOTU 2408 sound card that I just purchased. It is incredible. It has 8 analog in/out, 24 TDIF(Tascam)in/out, and 24 ADAT in/out. It is really expandable. You can use up to 24 In/out on the main board-up to 72 with expansion racks (but who needs 72 inputs?) Anyway, I started out with a SoundBlaster AWE64, and it was ok(I stress ok). Then I went to a D-MAN PCI. In my opinion, It worked very well for me, no distortion. If it wasnt for needing more inputs and a TDIF connection to my Tascam TDM-1000 digital mixer, I would of stayed with the D-MAN PCI audio card.

I dont know if you have any synths or samplers yet, but as everyone on this board will come to find out, I am personally a Roland fan. Nothing against korg, yamaha, ensoniq,I like them to, but Its just a personal thing. Ive worked in a couple of studios when I was younger, back in the NJ/Philly area, and Roland (jv-80, jd-800, r-8, and many others)is what most of the studios used there at the time, about now what they use, I dont know. My main piece of equipment is the Roland JV-1080. It is very expandable, and there is a HUGE library of sounds on the internet for the 1080 that ive downloaded-free. Total sounds(patches) ive downloaded(that are different-all doubles eliminated) is 1,860 plus the original factory patches...which I believe is 512. so over 2300 patches. The sounds are incredible, and it can be used with so many types of music style.

I've moved to Dallas 5 years ago from NJ/Philly area, and am still engineering/producing/writting R&B, Hip-Hop, Techno, House, Trip-Hop, Pop, and I have to burry my head, but now Country :) And the 1080 handles all those styles,and yes even Country... fantastic! Its an all around work-horse. I will never get rid of it.

This is just my humble opinion of my own equipment. Ive worked hard for the equipment that I have, and when I make a purchase, I buy something that I feel that I will be able to use for years. Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, and this is just mine.

Hope this helped you out some.

Later, Mike

'Sup, MO?
Emeric & Annpilot got you goin the right way...
I too would look into Sonic Foundry's "Vegas",
seems to be tha bomb with the hip-hoppers..
Click heere to check it out http://www.sonicfoundry.com
You're gonna post somethin' when you've laid it down, right?

DJ

also check out acid pro , also from sonic foundry.. the loops it comes with suck , but if yyou want to avoid midi and record through the line in of your computer , acid is the way to go...it makes looping beats and putting in breaks incredibly simple... you can also record the vocals and add effects to the tracks.. if i was doing hip hop , its what i would use.. if i was recording jaz , i would go with vegas pro.. or if i wanted to get crazy i would lay down the beats in acid and record vocals in vegas pro.. whooaa...im feeling crazy.. :)

- eddie -

youll also need a mic ...rode nt1 is the choice of many around here for vocals.. and if you only need a single preamp the art tube mp is also the choice of many...

- eddie -

Back