More stupid questions

The S1000PB is playback only, no sampling. So if you are going to be using the PB model for playing back sample libraries you are okay, but you can't sample with it.

This is just a obeservation (not necessarily a fact) but being a playback unit usually means it just lacks the analog to digital convertors and inputs. This means it loads samples in all the other ways such as SDS (through midi dumps) and SMDI (through scsi dumps). Most audio editors support both of these formats. SDS is hella slow and SCSI requires a SCSI connection but sends more data and is faster.

I have a PEAVEY plaback unit that I never use. I plan to get the OS upgrade and full memory and use it with my AKAI sample library. If it wasn't for that I'd probably consider getting rid of it because it's pretty time consuming to create sample sets for it. Even though Ido have the audio input unit it is still a pain to use because of PEAVEY's OS and file type is not compatible with any other equipment.

I'd probably look for something newer with wave support if I where you.

yeah but,

Yeah i would use something newer but what can i say im a broke ass cheep ass, ;{ i did however find the PB and a normal s1000 in a downtown toronto music store for $400 for the pair all i want to do is record on the s1000 stuff like basic diolog clips, Metal crash sounds and mecanical noises (quick hit type stuff) etc... bounce it down to the Pb and then have boath loaded up with 2 midi controalers for live. My thinking was that the two units would hold all the nececary content for the show and since i didnt really want to do more than that with em i could cut costs with useing an older units such as these . BUT will it be more trouble than its worth and will they hold enough sounds for a full say worst case senario 2 61 key controaler sample sets (i use cued tape for noise samples longer than a couple of secconds and no loops)

but for curiosuty sake (still more insipid questioning) did anyone have an alternative or will these work for that.

Brand new Yamaha A3000/4000 samplers are getting blown out right now in the $400-500 range. Emu ESI 2000/4000 samplers are cheap as well, and will certainly do what you need. The S1000 series samplers are really old, and frankly my S1100 didn't age well. The LCD's fade on them big time, and mine developed a very loud hum, and the floppy drive died. They also only hold a maximum of 32 meg RAM, and that's expensive hard to find RAM. I'd go with something a bit newer if I were you, but that's just my own opinion.

When I shopped for a sampler 18 months ago, I came to the conclusion that second hand akai samplers are overpriced. Get one only if you have an extenive Akai sound library, or if you want access to the huge Akai sound librarythat is out there.

If you are more interested in making your own sounds then something else will be a cheaper choice.

18 months ago the Yamaha Ax000 series was the one with most bang for the buck. It seems that this is still teh case.

Only thing to watch out for: If you get an A3000, make sure it's v2, and always take into account if it has an internal HD, because they can become pretty expensive to find.

Back