More shoe-string budget ideas

I just replaced my bedroom curtains with thick, heavy curtains from Ikea, hopefully they help some. I had some cheap wedge foam laying about (the Foam factory stuff) so while I was at Ikea I grabbed a pair of their cheap picture frames (8.5" X28" I think) at 5.95 apiece. A bit of spray-on glue and voilà: makeshift acoustic panels. Probably not the greatest, but for the price I won't complain!

IMG_1636.jpg

IMG_1635.jpg

You could get one package of Rockwool or Owens-Corning 703, and make very efficient use of it.

Make an absorber panel to tuck behind that curtain against the window, by laying down the insulation material on some black burlap, fold it over, roll the edges, and staple it closed. Then you have a window pillow to put up in there. If you felt like some amateur woodworking could be fun, buy/make a picture frame (simple 1x2" gardening stakes will work, or some really simple baseboard or window casing trim wood) to staple the fabric to, just to keep it flat and upright. Make one for the door as well, and some industrial velcro will keep it stuck to the door.

If you wanna help that door, add mass with a sheet of drywall attached to it. To keep the drywall from rattling against the door, use the self-sticking window and door weatherstripping.

you can get free wood and scraps from construction sites at housing developments. They always have extra when building houses, and they don't reuse anything on other houses since they order in bundles for each individual house. Just ask before taking.

You could get one package of Rockwool or Owens-Corning 703, and make very efficient use of it.

Make an absorber panel to tuck behind that curtain against the window, by laying down the insulation material on some black burlap, fold it over, roll the edges, and staple it closed. Then you have a window pillow to put up in there. If you felt like some amateur woodworking could be fun, buy/make a picture frame (simple 1x2" gardening stakes will work, or some really simple baseboard or window casing trim wood) to staple the fabric to, just to keep it flat and upright. Make one for the door as well, and some industrial velcro will keep it stuck to the door.

If you wanna help that door, add mass with a sheet of drywall attached to it. To keep the drywall from rattling against the door, use the self-sticking window and door weatherstripping.

I got plenty of spare foam pillows (allergies you see) ...

Does it sound any better than the VoxGuard? I'm sure it (the VoxGuard) has its uses, but to my ears it makes vocals sound boxy...or maybe I have bad ears? ;)

Does it sound any better than the VoxGuard? I'm sure it (the VoxGuard) has its uses, but to my ears it makes vocals sound boxy...or maybe I have bad ears? ;)

Yea that one sounds a lot more natural. The voxguard has a plastic backing and no way for the sound to pass through, it goes through the foam, it's the plastic backing and bounces back, only cutting the high end and not effecting the low end, making that bass boost you hear, it is pretty useless.

With this one, since you have an open back it acts more like an actual filter. Place it in the middle of a room and it'll cut down the unwanted reflections and give you a much flatter sound than the voxguard.

Perhaps poking holes through the Voxguad would help? ;) Better yet, how about increasing the thickness of the foam on the Voxguard to absorb said reflections coming from the plastic back? I have plenty of leftover wedge foam...a few pins and I could try to double the thickness of the absorbing material?

Last edited:
Back