More pre questions.

Fleaflicker

I posted earlier about the vtb-1 and dmp3, which was better, etc. Now, I'm beginning to wonder, are these going to be any different than the pres I have now? I currently have a sm pr8 8-channel pre-amp plus the built in pres on my c-port dac/adc 2000. I've recorded vocals using both of the above and was looking for more color and an upfront sound. Are the above listed(vtb-1 and dmp3) going to give me that or am I buying something I already have? Any advice would be appreciated. Hopefully, I've provided enough info.

Thanks,
Bill

Ain't heard the DMP-3... but the VTB-1 does have the 'fuzz box' knob with should give it a bit of a different character for you...

I like the VTB-1 better overall than the DMP3.
Quieter at near/full gain than the DMP3.

It's smart, however, to save any "tube blend" (if at all!),
for only during mixdown IMHO. Run it solid state only when tracking.

Chris

What's an sm pr8? Please link to a web site with info. It's very possible the preamps you are considering would be a sideways move. Is there some specific reason why you are unhappy with the sm pr8?

http://www.smproaudio.com/pr8.htm This is a link to the Sm Pro Audio site. The reason I am in search of something else is that I can't seem to get the 'up front' sound using the sm 57 and this pre. I get the same result with the C-port pre (with the sm 57). Also, the vocal is pretty flat using the above tools so I want to add some color. Maybe it's my voice! Let me know what you think.

Bill

The problem may be more in the mic than the pre. Try checking out some condenser mics.

Here, I'll get you started: http://www.hr-faq.org/advres.php?ld=1&lowprice=0&highprice=100

I think I've heard (someone correct me if I'm wrong) that recording all of your tracks through the same things makes them all mush together, and utilizing different mics and pres gives you more of a palette to paint different parts and make things stand out. Using the SM57 for everything may be the reason you can't get anything to stand out.

What are you recording?

chessparov said:
I like the VTB-1 better overall than the DMP3.
Quieter at near/full gain than the DMP3.

Interesting. Do you have a decibel reading on that? Specifically, just how much more quiet does it read on your meters, and at what gain? Thanks!

The new Electronic Musician magazine reviewed the VTB-1 this month. It said it was incapable of recording clean sounds and it was better for dirtier colored sounds. They liked it as a direct box, especially for bass guitar.

It wasn't a bad review but I didn't read it as a good review either. :confused:

I would just buy the preamp that has the most pretty colored flashing lights. That is what really matters. ;)

DMP3 against the VTB-1? It's the choice of something usable versus something bland in my book. I would vote the DMP3.

Wide Awake said:
The new Electronic Musician magazine reviewed the VTB-1 this month. It said it was incapable of recording clean sounds and it was better for dirtier colored sounds. They liked it as a direct box, especially for bass guitar.

It wasn't a bad review but I didn't read it as a good review either. :confused:

I would just buy the preamp that has the most pretty colored flashing lights. That is what really matters. ;)

Whoever wrote that review must need to get a hearing check up. The VTB1 is not a very good bass DI. In fact, the DI is the weak point of the unit.

It can record clean sounds. On mics, it tends to put a little better image in the monitors than the Mackie XDR.

The most complete reviews on the VTB1 were published a year ago by me:

www.mojopie.com/vtb1.html

darrin_h2000 said:
Direct in is a weak point for all pres, do use a gt2 first or one of the Bass pods before you go to a direct in. then you will get good Bass sound.

We didn't just plug a passive bass into the VTB1 when we tried it out . We also used a MM bass with active electronics. We probably also put a Bass POD through it.

darrin_h2000 said:
Direct in is a weak point for all pres, do use a gt2 first or one of the Bass pods before you go to a direct in. then you will get good Bass sound.

A Bass POD will do nothing to make a bass sound better. IMO.

Which mic--I realize this isn't the right forum.

Chris Fallen-I was looking at the SP tb-1, but the MXL v67 is sounding like a winner. What do you think?

Everybody esle-Continue your bass pod discussion..........

Back