More pix, floor joists, deck, window, finished flooring

jonothon

Here's a pic of my main room/drum room floor joist set up using Auralex U-boat neoprene pads.

Attachments

• studio floor joists uboats.jpg
    studio floor joists uboats.jpg
    99.9 KB · Views: 589
a busy day. We also did some more work on the window frames, anticipating that the glass guy is going to actually give me a price one of these days.

Attachments

• window frame 1.jpg
    window frame 1.jpg
    47.9 KB · Views: 530
A few more pictures

Here's the finished floor in the piano room.

Attachments

• finished floor piano rm 2.jpg
    finished floor piano rm 2.jpg
    55.5 KB · Views: 510
getting friggin' close. Window glass, doors, some wall to wall carpet, molding, that's just about it.

Then the electronics

uh oh. I'm sure it's going to take waaaay longer than i imagine. Everything else did.

smaill question: besides the neoprene and studs, did you put anything else under that drum floor ?? (sand, insulation,...??)

Herwig

No sand or insulation. I'm actually going to check out a riser for drums, hopefully removable, as this is also the all purpose room.

Its looking great! I have a question about the gray material you have in between where the glass will sit, what is it made of?

Ok, Glass prices are like yanking teeth from some distributors.
From what I have researched, 1/4" safety glass is stocked by most places at around $9.30 per square foot. 3/8" is not stocked so the wait could be longer and the price was closer to $15.00 per square foot. I opted for just plain glass because Im residental and the probability of the glass getting hit hard enough is like worrying about my kids riding their bikes into a window. But as a business I would not hesitate to go for the laminate. You can get regular glass and afterwards purchase safety film on one side, this is alot cheaper because its one piece of glass verses 2 pieces with the plastic sheet in between. Im actually going to fill one of my windows until later when I can afford safety glass for it, its the window common to the live room/wifes car in the garage.

Peace,
SoMm

Ok, I got a price of $1700 for 8 windows of safety glass, 4 of them 1/4", 4 of them 3/8. One pair is pretty big, like 7 feet long, so I guess I should have expected a something hefty like that.

My contractor friend had me ask them to place the large pieces of glass into the frames themselves when they deliver it, we'll just attach the molding. Seems like a good plan so we won't have to handle the big pieces.

I used joists 16" on center, and put the "U Boats" 24" on center. Seems like it's going to work out well, i've got 3 rooms with independent floors. Can't wait to get going. Oh and we put most of the track lights in yesterday. here's a pic.

Attachments

• control room track.jpg
    control room track.jpg
    57.4 KB · Views: 325
jonothon! what does the material that is in between where the glass will set consist of, and will the sheets of glass just butt up against that and then be held in place with some molding of some kind?

I used homosote wrapped in cloth. I'll put some caulk around the edge before I put the glass in. then more caulk and molding to hold the glass in.

Seems like it should work.

Oh yeah, I'm going to put a bead of caulk on the actual frame for the glass to sit on.

Open to other ideas, tho.

Incredible stuff, thanks for sharing with us and please keep posting more pics! I will be building my own space too (actually convert a 2car garage) in a few months and seeing how it is done is a great inspiration. Keep groovin'!

ok, well, now we have powered up the lights, and it's pretty cool to get an idea of how it'll eventually look.

Attachments

• control room 1.jpg
    control room 1.jpg
    53.6 KB · Views: 161
Back