more myspace compressed bs

fail_news_rapist_search_9.jpg

Well, I think I liked this thread better when you didn't have the link posted! Just kidding! The song is pretty good. I do like the vox on it.

hahahahaha. oh. man. no one on this forum will ever let me live this down...

Oh don't worry, we've all done that at least once. How about it guys? Come on, tell the truth. :D

Anyway...you've done a fine job overall. I would suggest only a few minor things.

Some of the tracks could use more mid or high frequency presence. Perhaps the toms, snare, and vocals. (But be careful with the S'es on the vocals. Compression tends to exaggerate those.) (Also mids will make the toms sound louder. They don't really need to be any louder, just brighter.)

The only other thing I've noticed was panning. It sort of sounds like everything is in the center.

Listening to get out of dodge.

Sounds really good dude. Maybe a little to much extreme chorus effect or whatever on the guitar, but that's just a matter of taste. Bass and drums are locked in tight and sound really good. Singer has a good voice. I really like it.
I'm not the best at mixing, so I can't offer much insight, but it all sounds nicely balanced.

Really good.

Oh don't worry, we've all done that at least once. How about it guys? Come on, tell the truth. :D

Anyway...you've done a fine job overall. I would suggest only a few minor things.

Some of the tracks could use more mid or high frequency presence. Perhaps the toms, snare, and vocals. (But be careful with the S'es on the vocals. Compression tends to exaggerate those.) (Also mids will make the toms sound louder. They don't really need to be any louder, just brighter.)

The only other thing I've noticed was panning. It sort of sounds like everything is in the center.

yeah, i used no eq or compression on the toms. a little dip in the low mids wouldn't have been a bad idea either. the snare was recorded very poorly. i kinda slapped mics up and hit go. a little decision making about polar patterns goes a long way i have since found out. i am having trouble getting good guit sounds, but our guitar player just got a not so high gain rig which i think is a little better suited to our music. and how, besides using a deesser, and being judicious with eq can i get more presence in the vox without a sibilance fest? i have tried everything and it seems like, when i just need it 1 db brighter, i can't push it anymore without ssssssssstt. maybe if i buy some new ears. or vintage ears.

and again, thank you all. this forum and all of you guys are more help that you know.

...and how, besides using a deesser, and being judicious with eq can i get more presence in the vox without a sibilance fest? i have tried everything and it seems like, when i just need it 1 db brighter, i can't push it anymore without ssssssssstt...

You can "notch" those ssssses out of there. (Hint: They are usually most present at around 4000 to 7000 Hz.) One way to pinpoint the offensive frequency range is to push up one EQ slider at a time (with the track on solo) and listen for the sound to get worse. Usually one or two of them in particular will cause that sound to scream out with ugliness. Once you have found it, then pull that frequency down as needed to notch or carve it out of the track.

If you use an EQ that enables you to change the Q setting, you can make more accurate notches. (In case you didn't know, Q sets how wide the EQ bump or notch should be.) You should try to keep the notch narrow so it doesn't suck the life out of the track.

Once the offending frequency has been notched out you are free to bump up other frequencies to give the track the air it needs.

You can "notch" those ssssses out of there. (Hint: They are usually most present at around 4000 to 7000 Hz.) One way to pinpoint the offensive frequency range is to push up one EQ slider at a time (with the track on solo) and listen for the sound to get worse. Usually one or two of them in particular will cause that sound to scream out with ugliness. Once you have found it, then pull that frequency down as needed to notch or carve it out of the track.

If you use an EQ that enables you to change the Q setting, you can make more accurate notches. (In case you didn't know, Q sets how wide the EQ bump or notch should be.) You should try to keep the notch narrow so it doesn't suck the life out of the track.

Once the offending frequency has been notched out you are free to bump up other frequencies to give the track the air it needs.

well, i tend to try and boost too much high in the vocal (8-12k)...maybe i should go back and notch other instruments in the frequency range and bump the threshold on the compressor a little bit. i tried parametric sweep and notching "problem" frequencies from the vocal thanks again RAW. sometimes hearing things i probably already know tends to pull them out of my subconscious. but i think i'll save it for the next song. as much fun as it is to play drums on, i am incredibly tired of hearing it through monitors.

Back