More low-tuned gunk

Musically I like it: However the vocals aren't clear enough to discern over that mondo lick. And having read your posts and your rap at mp3.com, as well as the lyrics on your other tunes, I think this is a serious shortfall. It's amazing what well written lyrics can do for a tune when they're clearly understandable. I'm up for a lyrics
.txt attachment in my e-mail inbox.

I was out at the beach that night in the cold air drinking cheap bourbon... (2 big vocal no-no's) Then when I got home I decided to play around with my new ART mic preamp... had the level to high and clipped the track all over the place... then I had to back and use software to restore the clipped audio and remove clicks and pops... My voice wasn't holding up well enough to do the vocals a second time...
Not being able to discern the lyrics just seems to come with the territory with heavy music... I think that probably works to my advantage most of the time...
I thought that I was pushing the limit on the vocal level in the mix... The transfer to mp3 at 128kbs really changes things, but that's the format they require at MP3.com.

Hail Satan!
I must say that that tune brought on a flashback from a few years ago, when my girlfriend dumped me, the first KoRn album came out, and I had a serious love affair with Smirnoff Blue.. A combo that damned near killed me. I miss those days. The lyrics didn't take me back to that place (although I did appreciate them), it was the energy of the music. I thoroughly enjoyed it.

Humbly bowing before the Prince of Darkness,
Brad

"Disgruntled..." really liked it. To my ears the vocals are way better than any of the others on your page. (sorry about the "lame gwar vocals" I made on a previous post)These last vocals seem more original and the music is great. "Mangled" is still my favorite musically though. Agree with the doc, lyric sheet would be good to have...the words I could understand made me want to hear more....gibs

hhHey Gibs...
I used the search engine and couldn't find any posts refering to my "lame Gwar vocals"...
I was just curious to see what you had said since Dave Brockie is actually one of my favorite singers... Say what you will, that bastard has a set of pipes and can use 'em... He also writes the best lyrics you're gonna find in heavy metal today... Poetry... Straight up poetry...
Too bad they have so many awful songs...
Still GWAR ranks among the best live shows I've seen... and I've seen damn near everyone...
Oh yeah... thanks fer the kind words... I'll see about getting some lyrics posted... I didn't think anyone was interested in lyrics today...

S8-N

S8-N ! I must say that I don't have a lot of gwar listening experience, so I'm just opining on the little I've heard...However, lyrics are a big deal to me, and if the lyrics are good, I could get over the vocals...I'll try to get hold of a cd...but that's just me...remember the really fat guys that had quasi-gwar mud vocals about 3 or 4 years ago, can't remember their name...tried to lip read 'em on the video and still couldn't get the words...oh and the post I was referring to I think is in the ying and yang thing somewhere in the mixing forum...sometime earlier this month...I wrote it after your censorship post in another forum, when everybody but eddie thought you'd hauled ass. My post had to do with the worst production lists that somebody started...........gibs

I think that the fat guys must be "Crowbar" from New orleans...
I wouldn't rush out and buy a GWAR cd on my recomendation... They are in acquired taste... The thing that annoys me most about 'em is that each CD of theirs (all 7) have a couple of great songs, a couple of awful songs, and the rest hover around mediocre... You can fit all of their good songs on one CD... Find someone to make you a compilation...

I like it, which kind of came as a surprise since I despise most of the artists on your "sounds like" list. Mr Bungle kicks ass, and the Deftones are pretty damn good, but thats about it. Anyway, guitar riff kicks ass, should maybe be a little louder. Bass sounds good, but it's a little overbearing. I'm sure that's what you wanted though, and as a bass player I can think of worse things than overbearing bass. I like the vocal effects on the verse, not sure if I like the chorus or not. Your vocal sound is awfully bassy, maybe a little high end would give it some presense. The bass, guitar, and vocals seem to be competing for a lot of the same frequencies. Don't mean to sound negative though, tune as a whole kicks pretty good ass.

-Nate K

Thanks mon...
That is the problem I am having with this low-end fest that I call Mofo Cult... Everything is competing for frequency space... I didn't notice any lows in the vox but I'll go back and listen again... That is one track that shouldn't be rumbling.

S8-N

Regarding the vox, I didn't really mean there was too much low end ( so much as theres like no highs at all. Which again is part of the sound you're going for. If you bump the vox a bit in like the 6kHz+ range it might give it a bit more presence. Also (and this might totally suck, what the hey) you might experiment with some really nasty high gain distortion. It won't do much for making you understandable, but it will introduce some new upper harmonics into the sound. Bear in mind that I've got like zero experience mixing music that heavy, so anything I say may be completely worthless. :)

-Nate K

I like to do distorted vocals from time to time but I was trying out a new mic and wanted to see how it sounded. In the manual for my ART dual MP they actually recommend a technique called "cascading" where you run one distorted channel of the MP into the other thereby loading tons distortion onto your signal. I'll try it someday... I'm pretty much sick of hearing this particular song... I should have all of my drum mics together by this weekend and I can get down to serious business with my real drummer...
Now that I am unemployed, I'll have more time to fool with things...
That's what inspired the lyrics... I quit my most recent job...

S8-N

I checked out all your stuff at MP3.com, killer man. Being from Pine Bluff, I can relate to the feelings in your songs and your decision to head to Florida, know what I'm saying?. Are the rest of the guys in your group from Arkansas? Got any more mp3s available? You've inspired me, I'll have something new up relatively soon.

So, you're from Pine Box, huh???
People in the real world think that Arkansas is nothing but trees and Deliverence people... Pine Bluff is a pretty rough town... My drummer and I are both from Little Rock... Another hardcore town...
We used to be in a band called Nest of Saws that played around from '91-94...
Check out the new website I just finished... http://homepages.msn.com/TwentiesCir/s8-n/mofopage.html

Later,

S8-N

S8-N:

Just checked out your webpage. Man that's a sweet practice room. You've got it made! I've pretty much got the same setup but I can't flush...kind of stinks sometimes.

Seriously though I think it's looking pretty good. I also checked out this tune yesterday and am really pretty impressed. It's not my musical style but I can definately appreciate it...dig the main guitar riff.

Slackmaster 2000

Back