More inputs for live recording needed

Snydley

I have a Pro Tools LE / 003 Rack + Factory system and am using it primarily for recording live jams in my barn/studio. I'm finding 8 inputs is really not enough for this. I realize there are another 10 inputs available if I use the digital inputs. What are my options for this. Ideally I'm looking for a 8 channel rack mounted Digital TOSLINK ADAT mixer I can connect to my 003 system optically and have another 8 channels to record with live. Is this possible, or am I confused? Can anyone give me some names, and possibly links to equipment I can look over.
This is just a small time weekend band type operation, and I don't have large dollars to throw at this, but I need to do something.:D
Thanks,
Snyde

I just bought the Behringer ADA8000.
Good quality.
Rack mounted.
Doubles as a preamp if you connect the ADAT
"Out" to "In" and is extremely affordable.

Good quality.
Rack mounted.
How has that worked out for you? Are you able to record 16 inputs, 8 analog + 8 digital, at the same time by adding this unit ? It certainly is affordable, and just what I'm looking for if that's possible. Right now we are recording live,(just because we want to "jam" and party and not focus on having to lay down track after track to get what we want). We really don't have a band, we're local, veteran musicians,(35 yrs. + at it, playing in different bands), just getting together to play, and party, and it was my idea to buy the Pro Tools LE and record it, but I'm finding there's not enough inputs to record properly live. We've got 4 vocals, 2 guitars, bass and drums, and hopefully a keyboardist someday,(if we can find one). I'm having to mix my drums down in my PA board first and sending 1 channel to the recorder when recording. It's impossible to mix them down properly this way.
Thanks for the help,
Snyde

Good quality.
Rack mounted.

I bought one of these yesterday after your recommendation and some research and used it for a live session last night. I connected it optically to my Pro Tools 8 system and used all 8 channels for my drums. It couldn't have been any easier and worked great!! Thanks for the "head-up" on this !!!
Snyde

I use a mackie 1604 ---->ADAT XT-----> Digi 002 via lightpipe. Not sure I would recommend going out and buying this stuff for your purposes. I happened to already have this stuff so I was glad to utilize the 002 in a way that would build on what I had, rather that replace everything.

Works fine for me. I prefer the pre's on the 002 and on my RNP, but the mackie coupled with the ADAT is serviceable.

I use an M-Audio Profire 2626 in standalone mode as an A/D for my 003. This gives me a total of 16 analogue ins to Pro Tools. I think you can configure it to do simultaneous D/A aswell.

You beat me to it. I have Digi002 and also occasionally use an ADA8000 if I need a bunch of channels. It doesn't suck nearly as much as it should at its pricepoint, and has not failed in 3 years of use. I use a Joemeek twinQ in by S/PDIF, an Avalon AD2022 and a DMP-3 on channels 5-8, for a total of 18 channels. That said, I don't record bands that often, and 95% of everything I record goes through the Avalon or the Joemeek. The ADA8000 is one of several Behringer units that really do a lot for very little money.-Richie

Back