More horses....

Lee123

Hey
I am running a Pentium mother board with an Intel Pentium 2.4ghz processor, but I am finding that on projects with loads of tracks, I am running at 80-90% processor utilization. I was thinking about getting a second 2.4ghz processor and then a Dual processor motherborad. What do you guys think, would this be the best way, or should I upgrade differently...?
Thanks
Lee.

I asked Cakewalk directly about the use of dual processors. I couldn't get a straight answer out of them. I asked if they had any performance data showing the difference between a single and dual processor set up. All I got from them was get two hard drives...one for the audio/recording and the other for the OS (I already had that), they also suggested several computer, XP and SONAR optimization techniquest (already did that too). I restated the question 3 time in 3 different emails...no direct response. BTW...I was asking specifically about building the "ultimate" PC for SONAR. I was proposing a no holds barred, over-the-top approach but, BUT with proven performance enhancements which would be recognized by SONAR. The machine I was planning to upgrade or otherwise update is a 3.2 GHz w/HT/800 MHz FSB/P4/1024 GB RAM and two 80 MB SATA drives.

Now, I understand that SONAR 4 is supposed to work with hyperthreading (which I have) and when enabled, I sometimes perceive a performance inprovement...notably when using plug-in effects. But I too would like to know if there's a significant improvement when going to a dual processor set up.

For what it's worth, and keep in mind I'm not computer expert but I have done a little checking. It seems that most dual processor motherboards aren't configured for desktop/work station like configurations. Seems like many of the lack the customary USB/firewire/onboard goodies like the standard units do. They appear to be maximized for server like duty which don't always need some of the creature features. This might be something to keep in mind when shopping around.

I didin't bring much to help you out but, If you get to the bottom of this I surely would like to know. What I would really like to get from Cakewalk would be an "Ultimate PC for SONAR" build guide. Wouldn't that be nice?

I've overclocked Athlons a lot. Never overclocked a P4. I currently have a P4 3.0ghz. How likely is it that I can overclock that? Any tips?

Thanks!

if you are talking about a 2.4ghz P4, you cant do dual processor with p4s. its impossible to do, and that fact is hardwired into the processor itself. i daresay it is impossible to do dual p4s, but im sure somebody will want to argue about it. im pretty sure the closest thing would be to make a dual opteron setup, but any kind of dual processor setup is not going to be cheap. you might just wanna get a faster processor, and dont forget about L2 cache. theres a reason celerons are cheaper than pentiums.

oh and one more thing, most times the software has to be setup to fiully utilize dual processors. some programs wont even touch a second processor no matter what you do, and others will use both very nicely. thats something to really check into before you spend the money to go dual.

fraserhutch said:
I've overclocked Athlons a lot. Never overclocked a P4. I currently have a P4 3.0ghz. How likely is it that I can overclock that? Any tips?

Thanks!
Yeah an Asus mobo makes it real easy for you. Abit, MSI etc s/be OK as well.
Otoh if you have an Intel mobo, forget about it.

You should be able get the 3.0 up around the 3.5, 3.6 mark. My 2.8 runs happily at 3.5. As you wind the fsb up, remember you'll also be increasing the clock speed of your ram, so you may need to drop that back using a 3:2 or 5:4 divider

Thanks for all your input. Looks like a faster cpu is the way to go. Is there a big difference between a 2.4 ghz that I have and a 3.0ghz? What is the biggest at the moment??
Lee.

Last edited:
I'm not sure why you're at 90% cpu usage to begin with. I'm using a notebook with a P4 mobile 2.8 cpu and 512mb ram and a Motu firewire interface, and even with reverb, eq, gates and compressors and such, i have no trouble running 24+ tracks at a time, and never get over 50% cpu usage. You may want to see if there's a problem with your configuration first, before investing in a new system.

I guess the reason why my cpu is so high on certain songs is that I have over 40 tracks, midi instruments, vst plugins, and hungry effects like 'Guitar Rack'. I beleive my pc is setup for optimum performance so I can only put it down to the cpu.
Most of the songs are between 25 and 30 tracks so normally it's not a problem, but occasionally that song comes along that ends up with billions of tracks (....slight exageration....;-) and sucks the cpu dry.....
I have 512 of ram but I have never been close to using that.
Has anyone seen a performance improvement with having a seperate drive for audio?
Lee

Lee123 said:
Has anyone seen a performance improvement with having a seperate drive for audio?
Lee
YES!!! I had been using the internal drive on my notebook, but the thing is so slow that my system would choke on more than about 12 tracks and would drop out left and right. Sonar's "drive usage" meter was constantly over 30% (which is really bad for drives). I switched to a USB2.0 external hard drive for the audio data (would have gone firewire, but I already have my Motu interface on the firewire bus) and now I'm having no trouble at all. The drive usage meter constantly stays below 10%, and the dropouts have completely vanished.

Kewl...I think I might start using a dedicated drive for audio....not sure if that will help my cpu any...???

I Currently have a 200gig Maxdor 7200rpm, 2mg cache.....should i keep this one for audio or does anyone recomend another drive?

Back