More Gloria - but disco not latin!

rob aylestone

I thought I'd share today's song. The idea isn't a finished song - it's prep for show tracks, and the first stage is to give the singer something to try out and sing to - so two versions are needed, one with no melody, and the other with a guide. I now use Spectral Layers to suck out the vocals, and then record each track, as close to the original, and following the tempo with a tempo map. Then, once done, I've slapped the original vocal back on. The idea of having the temp track is that it makes quantising the parts, especially the drums easier. Once we've agreed the key is OK, then most of the tracks need playing in to a click to put the human back. Guitar, bass, drums, percussion and keys will be live - the rest will come from the track - at least that is the plan.

So this is what we have from today - annoyingly, the synth arpeggios have a sound I have heard before and I'm sure I have got it, but I can't find it. I think the original is a preset in the 1080 synth. I'd forgotten how fun Disco from the 70s was!
View attachment don't let this moment v6 with gloria guide.mp3

Last edited:
The Vocal isn't mixed very well - it doesn't cut through - also I anted to hear more Top End on the whole track. Fun Song - you kind of captured that Donna Summer type vibe.

Agree about the vocal. Seems the reverbs on the instruments don’t match the reverb on the vocal. Personally I think there’s too much verb on the instrument tracks as well.

Otherwise it’s pretty nice. Makes me want to dance (which is not a pretty sight). 😁

Sorry - I thought I explained - the vocal is the original Gloria Estefan vocal removed from the original track, and plonked onto the track purely so the singer can make sure she is singing it right - she has the rough track with and without the vocal guide so she can check the key is right - then each track gets sorted. Usually it means you have to put into the first versions of the track the instruments you are going to have on stage, so you can make sure the track holds together, then those tracks become the stems you mic live. None would have reverb on them, they'd be dry as reverb would be added appropriate to the venue. My fault I didn't explain properly. Nobody will hear the track as in what I've uploaded. It's a faders in a line and sit back for 4 mins. No faders moving at all. The vocal track is also a mess - there's BVs all over it, so loads of artefacts and stuff.

Here's the track and a bit of the extracted audio from the original - might make more sense.
View attachment clipge.mp3

I thought I'd share today's song. The idea isn't a finished song - it's prep for show tracks, and the first stage is to give the singer something to try out and sing to - so two versions are needed, one with no melody, and the other with a guide. I now use Spectral Layers to suck out the vocals, and then record each track, as close to the original, and following the tempo with a tempo map. Then, once done, I've slapped the original vocal back on. The idea of having the temp track is that it makes quantising the parts, especially the drums easier. Once we've agreed the key is OK, then most of the tracks need playing in to a click to put the human back. Guitar, bass, drums, percussion and keys will be live - the rest will come from the track - at least that is the plan.

So this is what we have from today - annoyingly, the synth arpeggios have a sound I have heard before and I'm sure I have got it, but I can't find it. I think the original is a preset in the 1080 synth. I'd forgotten how fun Disco from the 70s was!
View attachment 126506
You dont want my honest opinion

If I get you correctly, these are prep tracks for a live show?

The first version was more natural, the second seemed rather computer generated. If the second is MIDI, you might try use groove patterns (they have that in Ableton to give it more feel), might make the second a more usable rehearsal track.

If I miss your objective, then disregard. :)

Back