more chinese anyone?

Oh indeed?

James, it is sE and you that makes "the cheapest product they can and sell it at huge margins". I have seen the new SE mics inside and out and as a product designer and engineer with extensive knowledge of condenser microphones, I can give you the qualified assurance that the SE products are of sub-par construction. Anybody can see that you are charging a lot of money for them.
Additionally, I have traveled to China and the 797 factory and their engineers have been to our facility as well. I did not know what to expect upon going there, but what I found was a nice clean facility staffed with competent people using some very nice equipment to machine, construct and assemble microphones. You are being very disingenuous by implying otherwise. You continue in this fashion by stating that other manufacturers are unscrupulous and I think that this is a case of projection on your part. The fact that you are associated with somebody like Siwei Zou bears this out in my opinion.
Since you are a marketing guy and have shared some of your marketing expertise here, allow me as a design engineer to return the favor and share with you some of my findings upon examining an sE3300.
First of all, from ten feet away, it looks like a decent mic. I like the headgrille. Unfortunately, the plating on the three outside body parts were done in separate batches, leaving them four different shades and textures. The inside of the bodies had not been deburred and I'm sure that some of your well-paid workers have received many metal slivers due to this.
Inside, was the typical metal frame used by all Shanghai LD microphones. There were loose screws and a transformer shielding can that was empty. Apparently it is there to make it appear that there is a transformer? There are two screws to hold the grill on which is poor design. Inside the grill is the white P20 capsule mount used in all Shanghai mics now. I specified this material when I was with Marshall MXL and now you use it! You're welcome. The old black material was a real nightmare, but that was before your time. Additionally, the phillips head screws around the diaphragm ring were my specification from around the same time period. The capsule itself was typical of all Shanghai based large capsule mics and the assembly on it was just terrible. the mylar was not trimmed around the edges, it was flapping loosely. The screws around the diaphragm ring were improperly tensioned. Whoever tightened the center terminal screw had not taken care to prevent the mylar diaphragm from becoming twisted and distorted around the center washer. As always, there is no glue on these capsules to hold the diaphragm tension. Over time, it will slip - unevenly. Is this what you mean by improved QC? The real capper was that the capsule was not facing forward, but rather at about a 35° angle. I kid you not.
Let's move on,
The switches were fake C&K. Why knock off C&K? They are plentiful and good. We use the C&K, by the way, so your inference that other companies are making the cheapest possible mics for the highest margin starts to fall short here.
And here as well as we continue on to: The Circuit Board.
Those brownish, crumbling 1KM ohm resistors are the worst I have seen. Aside from the capsule, these are the hallmarks of a garden variety Shanghai large diaphragm consdenser mic. They are noisy and just awful. We do not use them in our mics, fortunately. We pay a little more, for better quality resistors as this is a very important part of the circuit. You sir, do not seem to think so, or none of you know any better. (Until now)
There is a plethora of ceramic capacitors in this mic. They're everywhere! And they're cheap and crappy sounding. They have their uses, but where the sE is using them, I would specify something different.
The layout I think has a lot to do with why the mic was so noisy - that and those hiz resistors. They were located, by the way on the bias generator board and connected via a wire to the JFET on another board. Oh and the bias generator? A Hartley based oscillator using a tapped inductor? That must've taken a lot of effort to copy from the Neumann circuit.
The rest of the circuit is very basic. Nothing terribly wrong with it, other than the bad biasing on the PNP emitter follower and the fact that it had a low output and a high noise floor. If you're going to make a mic with an unbalanced output, at least use a circuit topology that can take advantage this in terms of signal to noise, low distortion, etc. The only real thing to set this mic apart from any other off the shelf Shanghai OEM is the body style and the plated-through hole blue phenolic PCB, which I might add, looks quite impressive.
I see the buzz that your marketing has generated and I hear that the sE's are being touted as high end mics. In fact, I think that the SE 3300 goes for around $600.00 U.S. This is crazy!
Let me tell you something, "J". When you say that other manufacturers are making the cheapest possible products and selling them at huge margins, you are describing yourself to a "T". I don't care if you say you have your own facility and make everything yourself. It's still garden variety Shanghai copies of copies sold for way more money than any other Western contract manufacturer or off-the shelf rebranding outfit. You are in a category all by yourself when it comes to selling a cheap product for a ridiculous margin. And then you come on here and try to badmouth other manufacturers. Try and find a company manufacturing out of China that charges as much as you do. If anybody doubts what I say about any of this, open one of those mics up and check for yourself. Compare it to any other Shanghai mic. Run you finger along the edge of a body tube if you dare. Check out the capsule. I am positive that I didn't just see one that was made on an off day. Look at the plating. Check out the components if you happen to be somewhat savvy in electronics. See what I mean. Now crack open a Studio Projects mic - ANY Studio Projects mic and look for some of this stuff I have listed. Listen to the noise floor. Compare the output levels. Feel the switches and how they actuate. There is a difference.
For an in house mic factory, why are your products like all the other Shanghai brethren but for the blue circuit boards and body style? Why is the SD shockmount for the SE2A identical to the one designed and conceived of at Marshall Electronics in late 1999? Notice that the capsule of an MXL 603 fits on this mic. You may make this stuff in house, but it's nothing new. You just charge more for it. Your mics are of shoddy construction. You dare to charge more for them and then rip others who charge less and go on to say that they are exploiting peasants in China. You are a liar and a fraud. Your partner Siwei Zou is well known in the business too. Perhaps you should talk to some of the other charlatans that have partnered up with him in the past.
Lastly, since you're offering to show pictures of your facility, why don't you throw up some pictures of the machine shop where the backplates are made?

Good Day,

Brent Casey
PMI Audio Group

Brent Casey said:
Oh indeed?

James, it is sE and you that makes "the cheapest product they can and sell it at huge margins". I have seen the new SE mics inside and out and as a product designer and engineer with extensive knowledge of condenser microphones, I can give you the qualified assurance that the SE products are of sub-par construction. Anybody can see that you are charging a lot of money for them.
Additionally, I have traveled to China and the 797 factory and their engineers have been to our facility as well. I did not know what to expect upon going there, but what I found was a nice clean facility staffed with competent people using some very nice equipment to machine, construct and assemble microphones. You are being very disingenuous by implying otherwise. You continue in this fashion by stating that other manufacturers are unscrupulous and I think that this is a case of projection on your part. The fact that you are associated with somebody like Siwei Zou bears this out in my opinion.
Since you are a marketing guy and have shared some of your marketing expertise here, allow me as a design engineer to return the favor and share with you some of my findings upon examining an sE3300.
First of all, from ten feet away, it looks like a decent mic. I like the headgrille. Unfortunately, the plating on the three outside body parts were done in separate batches, leaving them four different shades and textures. The inside of the bodies had not been deburred and I'm sure that some of your well-paid workers have received many metal slivers due to this.
Inside, was the typical metal frame used by all Shanghai LD microphones. There were loose screws and a transformer shielding can that was empty. Apparently it is there to make it appear that there is a transformer? There are two screws to hold the grill on which is poor design. Inside the grill is the white P20 capsule mount used in all Shanghai mics now. I specified this material when I was with Marshall MXL and now you use it! You're welcome. The old black material was a real nightmare, but that was before your time. Additionally, the phillips head screws around the diaphragm ring were my specification from around the same time period. The capsule itself was typical of all Shanghai based large capsule mics and the assembly on it was just terrible. the mylar was not trimmed around the edges, it was flapping loosely. The screws around the diaphragm ring were improperly tensioned. Whoever tightened the center terminal screw had not taken care to prevent the mylar diaphragm from becoming twisted and distorted around the center washer. As always, there is no glue on these capsules to hold the diaphragm tension. Over time, it will slip - unevenly. Is this what you mean by improved QC? The real capper was that the capsule was not facing forward, but rather at about a 35° angle. I kid you not.
Let's move on,
The switches were fake C&K. Why knock off C&K? They are plentiful and good. We use the C&K, by the way, so your inference that other companies are making the cheapest possible mics for the highest margin starts to fall short here.
Those brownish, crumbling 1KM ohm resistors are the worst I have seen. Aside from the capsule, these are the hallmarks of a garden variety Shanghai large diaphragm consdenser mic. They are noisy and just awful. We do not use them in our mics, fortunately. We pay a little more, for better quality resistors as this is a very important part of the circuit. You sir, do not seem to think so, or none of you know any better. (Until now)
There is a plethora of ceramic capacitors in this mic. They're everywhere! And they're cheap and crappy sounding. They have their uses, but where the sE is using them, I would specify something different.
The layout I think has a lot to do with why the mic was so noisy - that and those hiz resistors. They were located, by the way on the bias generator board and connected via a wire to the JFET on another board. Oh and the bias generator? A Hartley based oscillator using a tapped inductor? That must've taken a lot of effort to copy from the Neumann circuit.
The rest of the circuit is very basic. Nothing terribly wrong with it, other than the bad biasing on the PNP emitter follower and the fact that it had a low output and a high noise floor. If you're going to make a mic with an unbalanced output, at least use a circuit topology that can take advantage this in terms of signal to noise, low distortion, etc. The only real thing to set this mic apart from any other off the shelf Shanghai OEM is the body style and the plated-through hole blue phenolic PCB, which I might add, looks quite impressive.
I see the buzz that your marketing has generated and I hear that the sE's are being touted as high end mics. In fact, I think that the SE 3300 goes for around $600.00 U.S. This is crazy!
Let me tell you something, "J". When you say that other manufacturers are making the cheapest possible products and selling them at huge margins, you are describing yourself to a "T". I don't care if you say you have your own facility and make everything yourself. It's still garden variety Shanghai copies of copies sold for way more money than any other Western contract manufacturer or off-the shelf rebranding outfit. You are in a category all by yourself when it comes to selling a cheap product for a ridiculous margin. And then you come on here and try to badmouth other manufacturers. Try and find a company manufacturing out of China that charges as much as you do. If anybody doubts what I say about any of this, open one of those mics up and check for yourself. Compare it to any other Shanghai mic. Run you finger along the edge of a body tube if you dare. Check out the capsule. I am positive that I didn't just see one that was made on an off day. Look at the plating. Check out the components if you happen to be somewhat savvy in electronics. See what I mean. Now crack open a Studio Projects mic - ANY Studio Projects mic and look for some of this stuff I have listed. Listen to the noise floor. Compare the output levels. Feel the switches and how they actuate. There is a difference.
For an in house mic factory, why are your products like all the other Shanghai brethren but for the blue circuit boards and body style? Why is the SD shockmount for the SE2A identical to the one designed and conceived of at Marshall Electronics in late 1999? Notice that the capsule of an MXL 603 fits on this mic. You may make this stuff in house, but it's nothing new. You just charge more for it. Your mics are of shoddy construction. You dare to charge more for them and then rip others who charge less and go on to say that they are exploiting peasants in China. You are a liar and a fraud. Your partner Siwei Zou is well known in the business too. Perhaps you should talk to some of the other charlatans that have partnered up with him in the past.
Lastly, since you're offering to show pictures of your facility, why don't you throw up some pictures of the machine shop where the backplates are made?

Good Day,

Brent Casey
PMI Audio Group
buuurrrnnnn!!!! ;)

vangore said:
well as the saying goes the irish keep gate crashin, i hate that feckin song, i always got the impression that russles was much more expensive but then again i only buy stuff online and ocasionally in jeffers, i dont suppose any of you have tried the thomann ribbon mics have ye?

Russells can't compete with people like thomann, still good for second hand stuff and things like plectrums, strings, drumheads etc. I hate jeffers I went in to get a pair of vic firth 7a's and some young fella spent about ten minutes trying to get me to buy a short pair of tree trunks. Friend got a nice deal on a vox amp there a couple of weeks ago - €250 for this:

http://www.netzmarkt.de/thomann/thoiw6_artikel-175121.html

I was very surprised by it, very nice tone.

I havn't bothered with the thomann ribbon, I have my sights set on another MD441 - something I know I'll be keeping.

Jamesysonic said:
Hi all,

just saw the thread about sE and Thomann and thought I could enlighten you all. Siwei Zou, the founder of sE, used to help certain brands with OEM product from SHanghai Feilo in China, up until about 18 months ago. Thomann was one of the companies involved, but SF also made mics for a large number of other manufacturers. Siwei was not directly involved in manufcaturing these products, but helped several manufacturers, including SF, to improve on their QC and product design by bringing to bear his huge experience. Siwei was conductor of the Shanghai Philharmonic Orchestra for a number of years, and of the Shanghai Conservatory. He also worked closely with the Shanghai Opera, and was a major classical recording artist in China. He then became a professor and first bassoonist at the University of California, and is presently a professor at the Shanghai conservatory... you get the picture... a true 'golden ears' engineer!

To cut a long story short, Siwei cut all association with OEM product 18 months ago, when he, and ourselves (that's Sonic Distribution), went into partnership to form one of the ONLY wholly owned, non OEM mic companies in the world. In other words, not only do we not make products for anyone, but we don't subcontract our products either like all other big companies. We make even our own shock mounts and flight cases!

If anyone wants more info, pictures of our manufacturing plant and processes, all the way from raw materials (solid brass for most non electrical components!) to finished product (and I challenge ANY other manufacturer to show you that...!) I'll be happy to oblige.

Some products that look similar to sE are semi-copies made by engineers who have previously worked for Siwei. They are not of the same standard, not made bt sE, and in some cases (mentioning no names right now) we are currently pursuing legal suits against any company we consider to be infringing any of the more than 30 new patents we hold!

So, I hope that clears up some of the points I've seen raised, and am always happy to answer any quries anyone has on sE. You can contact me directly via our web site www.sonic-distribution.com if you'd like more detailed info.

Thanks

J

Hi! Micsales here! I am familiar with your inferior product made by largely slave labour. I contend that our mics (the ASM-B1) and the (ASM Tube Platinum Pro) are the best sounding and lowest cost mics available. Our chinese workers are paid at least 1 more time what you claim yours to be and they work on an unsinkable barge that we named "The Titanic II".

We raided your factories and obtained the finest workers that had warrents for their arrests. They are very grateful!

Thanks for sharing.

Brent Casey said:
Oh indeed?

Let's move on,

Good Day,

Brent Casey
PMI Audio Group

So, other than that, what is wrong with these mics?

So... next time we're buying a mic, one needs not only go check how it sounds, but also go check the factory that made it in Beijing/Shanghai... gets a bit more expensive that way, I guess :)

Seriously, there can be a big difference on how those factories work and how they treat their employees, etc. It is not always easy to discern for the layperson not travelling there. However, the buyers can influence this by stating environmental and work ethics requirements also as part of the contracts. Hence, the mic companies owning the design can have a large say here, and at the end of the day determine how those factories end up working.

Maybe I should just go and check those factories next time I'm there anyway on a business trip, and report back here to the rest of you ;)

I'm pretty sure Brent/Alan can give me the contacts, if needed...

-- Per.

I love it. Brent Casey jumps in to some thread and starts sparring off with another guy from SE.

Now I'm not normally a big proponent of spam ... but I love a good catfight! :D

I say we make a new rule on this forum: It's okay to shamelessly plug your product as long as you offset the spam with a few bitch-slaps to a competitor.

Not that there's really anything important to fight about. I mean we are talking about Chinese mics. It's like watching one guy argue that his poop doesn't smell as bad as the other guy's poop. Who cares? They're both talking about poop.

Mmmmmmm.... Chinese rubber poop. That was a great toy.

So are poopy Chinese mics, but rubber poop was totally cool.

Oh, the possibilities. ;)

Brent Casey said:
Oh indeed?

James, it is sE and you that makes "the cheapest product they can and sell it at huge margins". I have seen the new SE mics inside and out and as a product designer and engineer with extensive knowledge of condenser microphones, I can give you the qualified assurance that the SE products are of sub-par construction. Anybody can see that you are charging a lot of money for them.....

.....Good Day,

Brent Casey
PMI Audio Group

Man Jamesy, you got served!!!:D

chessrock said:
I love it. Brent Casey jumps in to some thread and starts sparring off with another guy from SE.

Now I'm not normally a big proponent of spam ... but I love a good catfight! :D

I say we make a new rule on this forum: It's okay to shamelessly plug your product as long as you offset the spam with a few bitch-slaps to a competitor.

Not that there's really anything important to fight about. I mean we are talking about Chinese mics. It's like watching one guy argue that his poop doesn't smell as bad as the other guy's poop. Who cares? They're both talking about poop.
Yeah, let them fight it out. Sonic Distribution vs PMI-AG Distribution... come on James, spill the beans... your not going to give up that easy... are you?

Where did you go James?

Yeah, it sure does look that way. Oh well, it's not the first time PMI-AG has run their competition off of hr.com (ADK, etc)... and I'm sure it won't be the last. I wish they'd all take a hike.

DJL said:
Yeah, it sure does look that way. Oh well, it's not the first time PMI-AG has run their competition off of hr.com (ADK, etc)... and I'm sure it won't be the last. I wish they'd all take a hike.

That's a great idea. I love hiking! It's very nice outside right now too.

LOL, when is it ever not a nice day out in LA? It broke 50 here this weekend and everyone was out in shorts and T-shirts. :D

Brent Casey said:
That's a great idea. I love hiking! It's very nice outside right now too.
Gee, I was hoping James hade some dirt to thow back... but, it looks like you took James/Sonic Distribution/SE out with one direct hit... and most likely while naked. :D

Hey, I've been meaning to ask... what do the letters PMI stand for? AG is Audio Group... I added AG because you're not PMI Group Inc (I.e. PMI-AG)... anyway, what does the PMI stand for? Thanks :)

Also, thanks for pointing out some of the common reasons why cheap budget mics suck. :D :)

Last edited:
.....if brent keeps running off the competition...how will i ever get free products from companies competing for my business!? lol please brent, don't hurt'em. :D

I think SE got slammed a bit too hard here, but one should not draw the perception that ALL SE mics are put together like the one Brent took apart. Maybe, Brent was the second person to take it apart and Allen didn't put it back together right! :D

I've tried out a couple of SE mics. I sent a SE1 and SE 3000 back, but I kept two of the original SE 3500. The SE 3500 looks a bit like the shape of a TLM 103, but has a warmer, darker sound. It was great on some female vocals where the C1 and C3 were too bright. I also use it on guitar and it has amazingly low proximity effect, as you can place it in many different locations for sound variation. I find the C1 is quite picky and a poor placement will yeild tons of proximity effect.

I feel the SE 3500 is built fairly well, but I have never taken it apart. No need to. I have also heard that some of their tube mics are very nice sounding and a real bargin for the price. I don't know anything about this slave labor stuff. I've never been to the plant.

If my mics fall apart, I'll be sure to let everybody know! :)

JPS said:
I've tried out a couple of SE mics. I sent a SE1 and SE 3000 back, but I kept two of the original SE 3500. The SE 3500 looks a bit like the shape of a TLM 103, but has a warmer, darker sound. It was great on some female vocals where the C1 and C3 were too bright. I also use it on guitar and it has amazingly low proximity effect, as you can place it in many different locations for sound variation. I find the C1 is quite picky and a poor placement will yeild tons of proximity effect. :)

I've got a lot of LDC Mics which include a Soundelux U195, TLM103, NTK, Blue Baby Bottle, & a matched set of Hamburgs to name a few. My vocal mic of choice is the SE H3500 which is amazing on my vox. I'm not saying it will be amazing on everyones vox but it is on mine. I'm looking for another one which will have to be on ebay since they are no longer in production.

Micsales said:
Our chinese workers are paid at least 1 more time what you claim yours to be and they work on an unsinkable barge that we named "The Titanic II".

We raided your factories and obtained the finest workers that had warrents for their arrests. They are very grateful!

Excellent Micsales! Now that you have extra help, does that mean that my "Vintagemic Sweaters" will be shipping soon? :)

Back