More assistance needed

pahinson

I currently have a keyboard (midi) and want to incorporate other instruments into my music. Maybe a drum machine or some other things. Also a mic, I know obviously I neeed a usb interface but will a int. support all above. Also are drum machines upgradable?

Also how do you hoook speakers up to the computer, may sound stupid but, through the normal imput or what. I dont plan on buying studio monitors just because its a waste of money so Im going to use regular computer speakers

Last edited:
I currently have a keyboard (midi) and want to incorporate other instruments into my music. Maybe a drum machine or some other things. Also a mic, I know obviously I neeed a usb interface but will a int. support all above. Also are drum machines upgradable?

Also how do you hoook speakers up to the computer, may sound stupid but, through the normal imput or what. I dont plan on buying studio monitors just because its a waste of money so Im going to use studio monitors

At a minimum you'll need some sort of mixer.

Drum machines are not generally upgradeable per se.

Not getting the studio monitor question thing....
You say you don't plan to buy studio monitors "so I'm going to use studio monitors"?

I suggest you spend some time reading and researching before you go much further.

BG/HSG
www.homestudioguy.com

yeh i fixed it. Thanks and does anyone have any more input. You have though, gave me a good blueprint for a desk though

Hmmm, don't know why you would think studio monitors are a waste of money, but you can at least hear your tunes through computer speakers. Maybe that's all you need.

If you're a one man band, you don't need a mixer, just an interface will do. And most likely a 2-channel USB would work fine. I've never recorded more than two tracks at one time.

You would hook your speakers up to your interface, not the computer.

If you've got a midi keyboard you can use VSTi's for instruments. They'll run within your DAW and your kybrd will control them.

A good suggestion for upgrading drum machines would be to look at something like EZDrummer.

Thanks lots. Its not that there a waste of money but I think I could possible get a close to monitor sound out of a set of hd speakers. But one more thing, do I really need a drum machine or should I be able to do everything from the midi jkeyboard

Thanks lots. Its not that there a waste of money but I think I could possible get a close to monitor sound out of a set of hd speakers. But one more thing, do I really need a drum machine or should I be able to do everything from the midi jkeyboard

If you have a midi keyboard and access to a source of drum sounds (such as a VSTi or a midi-driven drum module), then you don't need a drum machine.

I dont plan on buying studio monitors just because its a waste of money so Im going to use regular computer speakers

Imagine this: You are an artist painting a picture. You spend a decent amount of money on your paints. They are important. They directly affect the finished work. You spend a decent amount on the brushes. They are important. They directly affect the work. You put aside decent money for a frame when it is all done. That will directly affect the work.

Your eyeglasses? They're old and scratched. And the wrong prescription. And the lenses have a heavy amber tint. Also, the lights in the room are dim and slightly sickly and green. But they don't directly affect the finished work so why spend money on good ones, right?

Under most circumstances, a painter with cheap brushes and paints but crystal clear vision and bright correctly colored light will come up with a much better painting than an equal painter with good supplies but off-color blurry dark vision.

Same goes for audio and monitor speakers. They are the SINGLE MOST IMPORTANT THING YOU CAN SPEND MONEY ON.

No lie.

What equipment do you have now? You have to take a look at what your trying to accomplish before you can figure out what you need. If your going more software based (VSTi etc.) then a keyboard will do fine. If your talking hardware based then you will need to think about how you will route them. What kind of interface and how many IN/OUT you need is decided by how many you think you need.

Getting down to basics.

Needed: A.Input,B.Virtual mixer/processing software,C.Output. Options: A.Input: 1/4" female plug (for instrument) to 1/8" male adapter plug to line-in on computer (high latency [delay between input and output sounds];not recommended), 1/4" line and XLR mic to USB mixer interface,MIDI to USB interface. All will get sounds into you computer. B.DAW (Digital Audio Workstation) software [basic,free: www.audacity.com],for a few $ better software available. C.Output: Best bang for the buck: $20 headphones, can get decent speakers for $50. Best of luck!

I really appreciate everyones insight and advice. I currently have a mac ibook running 10.4 and plan to get ableton live intro soon and I guess vsit. Anyone reccomend any good books or reference info for ableton?

Ok thanks.

Can I use the audio int. and the mixer all in one and have the same effects as having a udio int.?

OKKKK. We are now down to software. I really need help on this one. I havent seen alot out of ableton( maybe bc of popularity idk) but I need some good advice on software. I want something affordable/upgradable also simple and complex at the same time. I want to make hip hop so please reccomend some good software for producing good quality hip hop.( within my ability)

Back