Moog Liberation

Cuzme

Moog Liberation is basically a cheap Moog that looks incredibly uncool. Contrary to popular belief not everything Moog did was good, in fact, other than the Minimoog and Modulars Bob Moog didn't design Moogs. In fact, the majority of the products came out after he had left the company in disgust.

For the most part Moog = hype.

If you want a real analog get a Prophet 5 or Oberheim OBXa IMHO.

Cloneboy Studio said:
If you want a real analog get a Prophet 5 or Oberheim OBXa IMHO.

Yeah, did some research. Those are pretty awesome (and are definitely on my studio list)! But I want a good functional live thang to have in addition to my Bass. And yes, I'm leaning into the "electronic dork", "keytar", or whatever you want to call it thingamajigamabob.

Thanks for the advice though. It's most probable that I'll just get a bunch of pedals...but who knows.

Mad love,
Cuzme

Keep in mind that a Prophet 5 isn't a casual synth to get... make sure you know what you are getting into. They have to be babied and maintained, and they are pretty pricey still.

I should know I've had a Prophet 5 for almost five years now. My favorite keyboard ever. :)

I believe the Liberation is the same as the Moog Rogue, which I'd classify to be one step behind the Moog Prodigy. Luckily, the Rogue is (ostensibly) the same as the Realistic Concertmate MG-1, which Moog made for Radio Shack in the early 80's.

I share only because I don't see too many Liberations floating around the used market, but there's a few Rogues and several MG-1 models.

If you're commited to the keytar look, check out a Roland SH-101 with the arm, or consider Roland AX-7 with a Nord Lead 2, Bass station, or Ion.

I agree with the Prohet 5 and Oberhiem being great analog synths. In addition I'd add the Yamaha DX7 and the venerable ARP 2600. The ARP was the best analog synth I have ever owned (I'm soory I sold mine). But as CloneBoy Studio said, all of the above need to be babied/maintained. But they are well worth the hassle if you're looking for the vintage synth sound that reigned back in the day.

Problem with the DX7 is that programs like the FM7 VST nail the sound. Also, the inherent programming difficulty of FM can be unappealing to 99% of the users out there.

Personally one of the best analogs for someone that doesn't want to get deep into debt is a Roland Juno 60. That was my first keyboard and I think it is great for simple analog stuff. The chorus is KILLER, the board is reasonably reliable, looks great, sounds great, and is under 400 bucks. Plus it's polyphonic with 6 notes. No MIDI unless you get a DCB>MIDI converter like the Kenton Pro-DCB (what I have) or the OP8.

Back