Montego II Plus card

bigfoot

Anyone have any thoughts on the Voyetra Turtle Beach Montego II Plus sound card. What I'm looking for is a basic S/PDIF optical interface to run a 2-track final mix from my Fostex DMT-8 track (digital) into my Pentium 166 PC for recording onto CD, which the Montego has and costs only $150. I plan to buy a CD burner (TASCAM bundle?). Also, one basic question, if the data never leaves the digital domain when going from my 8 track to the CD burner, why wont a cheapo card do the transfer just as well as a high end card? Thanks in advance for any input.

Your basic question is indeed rhetorical.
Of course there is no difference. And many of the members here have proven that with their
setups.
With S/PDIF ports you can move the data from the DMT-8 to your 166, fiddle with it there (get ready for some long waits- 166 is pretty slow for digital audio editing) and burn it to an internal CDR or back out to that TASCAM burner you mentioned, all in the digital realm. OR you can go straight from the DMT-8 to the TASCAM. The TASCAM supports both coax and optical S/PDIF.

Thanks DRSTAWL. Is the Pentium 166 totally useless for audio editing? If so, and I decide to get the TASCAM CD stand alone recorder, has anyone had any experience recording to a stand alone CD recorder from a modular hard disk recorder? Theoretically, it should sound as good as it does straight from my DMT-8, no?
P.S., its amazing how fast one can get a response on this site from across the country - I'm in Virginia.

Back