monotone voice

ridl

I have no singing experience and am going to be singing for a punk band (not true singing). My voice is extremely monotone (my dad even jokes with me and talks like a robot). My question is this: are there ways for me to exemplify the dynamics in my voice, or should I just learn to make my voice sound as good as it can with what I have?

Most likely that's simply a speech habit pattern rather than anything "wrong" with your voice.
One thing that'll help is to practice speaking into a tape or digital recorder, then playing it back.
Learning to imitate other voices is a fun exercise as long as you don't "force" your voice, keep it comfortable, and within (a small) range.
As always, personal voice lessons with a good teacher is best.

Be careful with the punk singing though, yelling and screaming WILL damage your vocal cords over time.
Better to raise the mike's volume. :)

Chris

I can imitate voices pretty well (in my opinion), but I never trust my voice to my own ears. Thanks for the advice, I'll try the voice tests. I'm not gonna be screaming (much) and when I do I'm gonna just distort my voice--I can barely talk for a long time w/o hurting my throat, so it'd wreak havok to scream.

I know you can sound different when you aren't smiling and you are....

Well you can over the phone and I think it comes across in singing... also depends on your mood at the time.

Porter

yeah -smiling makes your voice sound like crap. You want to keep the corners of your mouth closer together.

And dont orry about the monotone voice....Crash test dummies made it

I don't intend on smiling while singing anyways...sounds like a waste. If I'm paying attention to a singer I want to see them doing everything in their power to do their performance how they want it as opposed to making it 'look good'.

yeah -smiling makes your voice sound like crap. You want to keep the corners of your mouth closer together.

don't intend on smiling while singing anyways...sounds like a waste.

I'm sorry, but that's not true.

Smiling is not exactly the way that I would approach singing but,
it is in the right direction.

You see, when you get your mouth open wide, like when you smile,
the sound is improved in all different ways.

Such as Vowel correctness, richness, clarity, and even helping with
reaching high and lower in the octave range.

Good luck,

Sean

Believe it or not, i agree with smelly.

I have had various people give the same good advice about smiling.

And of course, you HAVE to open your mouth if you want the sound to come out desirably.

unless your humming.

y

Ditto on the smiling. You can get better resonance and placement. However, keeping the throat and tongue muscles relaxed, with a loose jaw is what you want to aim for when singing. I recommend that you go to a singing coach and learn some exercises to learn how to make the notes without using the above muscles. Your throat problems will become less of an issue. The sooner you do it the better.

The "smiling" technique is often misunderstood.

It means a slight lift in the corners of the mouth, without causing undo tension-whether or not you're really smiling.
Otherwise you'd look like an idiot singing a sad song with a big smile on your face!

Chris

some vocal coaches will tell students to smile just to get them to put more expressiveness in their voice. I also hear the same thing from voiceover directors 'put more smile in it'.

What you are usually looking for is a much more open and round shape of the mouth than most people consider a smile.

Back