mono or stereo?

james123

Teenager from mars
hi, this might sound like a stupid question but i dont know much about recording at the moment so my question is...
if i say mic'ed up a drum kit with 4 mics which then fed into an anologue mixer then hooked up the mixer with its 2 main outputs (L&R) to one of the tracks on my portastudio which has two inputs would this go from stereo to mono or just stay stereo? im confused because i know stereo is 2 tracks but its still recording both left and right but on to 1 track
im sorry if this is areally stupid question ,thanks for looking

james123 said:
hi, this might sound like a stupid question but i dont know much about recording at the moment so my question is...
if i say mic'ed up a drum kit with 4 mics which then fed into an anologue mixer then hooked up the mixer with its 2 main outputs (L&R) to one of the tracks on my portastudio which has two inputs would this go from stereo to mono or just stay stereo? im confused because i know stereo is 2 tracks but its still recording both left and right but on to 1 track
im sorry if this is areally stupid question ,thanks for looking

If you are recording to just one track, it will be mono. Why not assign each input on the Portastudio to its own track as follows and get stereo?

Think of the 2 outputs of the mixer (L & R) as being the actual mix of the drums
heard by the 2 inputs of the portastudio. You create the stereo-ness of it by panning each mic on the mixer to L & R. A typical 4 mic set-up would be as follows:

Left overhead - Pan maximally Left
Right overhead Pan maximally RIght
Kick Center
Snare Center

thanks mate for the quick reply and clearing me up on that if iwas going to record drums i would do as you said i was just wondering if that would be possible
THANKS

it depends. you could be recording 1 stereo track. the file should have 2 waves that you can see.

hard pan 2 things left and right and then just check if you can hear each in each speaker. there should be an option of recording in stereo or mono in your software.

cello_pudding said:
it depends. you could be recording 1 stereo track. the file should have 2 waves that you can see.

hard pan 2 things left and right and then just check if you can hear each in each speaker. there should be an option of recording in stereo or mono in your software.

Each individual input on these units is mono. James would still have to have two discrete inputs of signal to record them as a single stereo track. Also, I'm fairly certain that James' unit is a 4-track cassette, where the single stereo track is certainly not a possibility. (Correct me if you're digital here James).

Let me know if you have anymore questions.

JD

yeah your right guttapercha its a yamaha mt2x cassette 4-track with a built in
6-channel mixer so i can assign two inputs in to one track thats why i was wondering if it would be mono or stereo .thanks again for your input

oh crap. i don't know why i omitted the whole porta studio. i just assumed he had a analog mixer into his computer.

my bad

Back