Monitors?

Roneil76

I can grab a pair of used "kustom KPC12M" pa monitors for a low price here. Any reason not to use pa monitors for mixing?
New they are 125 USD I can grab the pair for 150 USD

They're not even decent PA speakers. Even with the best possible amplification, they aren't even close to being accurate and consistent enough to be used as audio monitors.

I had some Kustom 10" I got off craigslist cheap. I didnt even like them for church monitors.... harsh crappy sound. Would never consider them for studio monitors. I sold them for cheap.

Mackie THUMP 12" powered going for 199 US on sale if you want another cheap PA speaker that is probably a little bit better. BTW how bad are those Mackies (anyone)? I have RCF for mains and I just wanted a half-decent stage monitor for the church people.

Yeah kinda figured. I'm not necessarily lookin for cheap just that these are cheap is all. Coulda been a bonus if it could work.

Yeah, the Kustom's are unpowered - you still need an amp for them. The sound is marginal (at best) from any of those low-priced Kustom PA/monitor speakers at low volume, as soon as you start to put any volume through them they are crap. And PA speakers, in general, do nto make good studio monitors due to design (sound dispersal patterns).

To JLondon's question - Not sure the Thumps would make a very good monitor, when used as a wedge - the problem being the way the sound spreads out from the horn. I've heard the low end is pretty muddy on them, but never actually heard them in action myself. Mackie has a new Thump model out, so the old ones are going cheaply now.

Back