Monitors

TMS

Hi,

My ears are getting tired of auditioning, mixing and listening with headphones.
I'm about to order the monitors for my studio.
The think is, that my room is not treated at all.
Some say it does not matter, some say - that is the only way to do it.

The ones I'm considering are:
1. Adam A3X - 2-way active bass reflex speaker, 3.5" carbon fibre woofer (25W), X-ART tweeter (25W), frequency response: thomann 60Hz-50kHz, crossover frequency: 2.8kHz, 106dB maximum SPL (pair @ 1m), gain: +14dB / - infinite dB, tweeter gain: +/-4dB, THD 90dB/1m > 100Hz: <0,8%, analogue inputs: XLR &...

and

Adam F5, active Nearfield Monitor 5", X-ART Tweeter, Frequency Response: 52 Hz - 50 kHz, max. SPL: 110dB thomann (peak), Amp: 25W rms / 35W music, Gain, Room correction EQ.

The question is - will I get the better response from the ones with smaller woofer or the ones with bigger woofer in untreated room?
Or it wont make much difference?

Thank you in advance for looking into this.

TMS

TMS....you don't describe your room at all. How about a few details? Without much to go on......no one can really answer your question and be correct. And as for those who say you can mix with monitors without treating your room.........sure........you can mix anywhere........and think you've got it done ok........until you begin to hear it on other playback systems.

Thank you, Mickster.
The studio is build in the living room.
Room has laminate floor, leather sofas and curtains.
I will upload a picture when I get home.

Thank you, Mickster.

Thank you, Mickster.

My ears are getting tired of auditioning, mixing and listening with headphones.
It's nearly impossible to do anyway, so that's a good thing.
I'm about to order the monitors for my studio.
The FIRST purchase you should have made and ultimately the absolute most important purchase you will make.
The think is, that my room is not treated at all.
The next and equally as important purchase you will ever make.
Some say it does not matter,
Probably those with absolutely no experience and or no listening skills.
some say - that is the only way to do it.
You will only ever be as good as your monitoring chain allows you to be. Your monitoring chain will only ever be as accurate and consistent as the room allows them to be.

ADAM boxes are fine -- HOWEVER -- I would almost go as far as to suggest getting a half dozen "bags" of Roxul Safe n Sound or some sort of dense insulation for use as corner traps (just leave 'em in the bags, put them in prettier cloth bags if you'd like to change the look) and getting a more substantial box, even if it's somewhat less expensive. WHICH box, I'm not sure. I'm not a fan of the vast majority of the sub-$1k crowd out there (although I've heard a few that are somewhat usable in a decently tuned room).

OKAY - just checked what you were looking at...

I'd just wait a bit and save up more. A little set of "post" speakers isn't going to get you too far (IMO/E). Granted, the room won't be as much of an issue (because they don't have any real low end response anyway - which is the big problem - and a similar problem with headphones is also a lack of accurate and consistent low end response). Better to hold off and get the something that's going to take you places than to get a set of "minis" that you're going to outgrow in 3 hours.

YMMV, IMO/E, etc., etc., yada, yada.

Sound traps

(Sorry about the same 3 posts)

Thanks for looking into it, John.
My heads gonna explode :confused:
I was kind of afraid that someone will tell me "You ain't getting away with by spending 400EUR on monitors!!!" :)
Yeah, I was ignoring the fact that more_money = more_advanced_monitors,
when reading about monitor investments.

What would be considerably useful low end response from the monitors?

(of the topic... Should I start a new thread?...)
I took some measures and pictures of the room.

View attachment 80576

Capture.PNG

Above the desk, there is this funny ceiling.

Capture1.PNG

Last edited:
Back