Monitors!

Venesectrix

I'm looking to maybe buy a pair of monitors sometime next year, and I'm doing research now to find what would be the best for what I can afford. So what would you guys think would be some great monitors for near field work? I'm mixing in my home in a bedroom that's not really big. I can't spend a lot of money though.. maybe somewhere around $100-300. I record mostly Rock and Acoustic music.

Right now I'm just using some Audio Technica ATH-M3X headphones and the cheap polkaudio speakers that came with the computer. So as you can guess, it's a nightmare trying to mix.

Oh, and I'm getting the EM-U 0404 soon. It has digital outs.. Roland makes some digital monitors but I don't know if they're any decent. I also don't know the advantage/disadvantages of digital monitors are. So if anyone wants to enlighten me, I'd much appreciate it.

Venesectrix

The best thing to do is go to a music store with your favorite cd and compare how it sounds on all the monitors in your price range. It is a subjective decision and once you make it post your choice here and let everyone tear it apart before you buy :eek:

There's a lot of discussion about monitors under the "Other Equipment and Reviews" forum -- check it out. You're most likely going to have to spend at least $300 to get anything decent. The Wharfedale Diamond Pro 8.2a (actives) are getting really good reviews by HR members. A member/dealer here (deepwater) offers them to members for $275. Here's a (lengthy) thread about the Wharfies http://www.homerecording.com/bbs/showthread.php?t=123752. I just ordered some myself.

Thanks guys! I checked out the Wharfedale 8.2A's. I was really impressed. I would love to hear a some but I doubt Guitar Center or anyone else has a pair. Since the Wharfedale's are made in the UK do you need a power cord adapter?

Also, how do you think the Wharfedale 8.2A's pair up against the Behringer TRUTH actives? The TRUTH's are $279.99 with free shipping..

Thanks again, you guys are helping me out a lot.

Back