Monitors: Yamaha NS10 vs. the rest..

BigBee

Yep, I want to buy me some nearfield monitors for my homestudio. The shops recommend only the stuff they have in store, their sales talk don't help me. The big names and almost everyone else seem to have the NS10's. Not because they are very good but because they seem to be very honest. When I listened to NS10's they sounded different then the others (genelecs, yamaha MSP5). In fact the others sounded very much alike. The others sounded much fuller and warmer while the NS10's where very direct and tight. I guess the NS10's are not very pleasant for long listening periods. What I need are some monitors who give me a good representation of what I record but will also translate into my HiFi and other peoples systems. So for the guitar oriented Dance/Techno I'm making should I go for the NS10's or others (with a maximum of $500) ?

BigBee

Yep, NS10's are honest ... some would probably even say intentionally crappy-sounding. My opinion is that they're good as a second set of monitors ... but not as your only reference. Personally, I'd prefer Event 20/20 (any variety) over NS10's.

[This message has been edited by BigKahuna (edited 07-03-2000).]

If you search for "NS10" or "NS-10" you should be able to find a few threads that talk about these monitors on this BBS.

yes the NS10's are honest but you have to learn how to mix with them - most people end up with too much bottom end when they first use them - I would recommend you try the Event 20/20 basic model (i.e. not powered) I've been recording since the 60's and believe me - they are the best speakers I've ever worked with and I used NS10's for most of that time - and Hey - Metalica use them to mix on!!!

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by John Sayers:
I would recommend you try the Event 20/20 basic model (i.e. not powered) /B]<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Interesting you say that. I was just talking to a friend at KRK who claims that the powering of the Events adds to much color to the set.
I didn't expect him to say anything different (friend or no friend) but do you know of anything about this?. I haven't heard them yet and was planning to try them out after my HD1 started acting up.

I looked at the NS10 but I bought some Tanoy reveals.I like them. The NS 10 seemed to me to be thin and cheap sounding and I was afraid I would alter my mix to correct. To me, you have to "learn" your monitors. What sounds good from them and what they may be covering up.

OK. So probably no NS10's for me. A lot of people on this BBS seem to use/like the Event 20/20 in a homerecording situation. I am going to listen and find out ! Can I expect miracles ?

No miracles, just a really good set of monitors.

Compared to NS 10's, the Events have a much more realistic low end to them, and if you are not used to any quality monitors at all, they would be a much better choice for recording, even in a professional studio.

NS 10's have been around for a long time. When they first came out, they were the monitor to have! The reason that many are still using them is because they have used them for years, or, if the person is newer to engineering, it is what they have been working with in the studio they work at. This doesn't make them "better" then the Event's at all. Just that they are what the engineers learned to mix on is all.

I agree with what was said above. If you are not used to NS 10's, you will have a very hard time using them. On certain projects that I work with another engineer/producer, I use them to 1- accomedate what he is used to. 2- To use as another reference to the mix. But we both rely much more on the Events then the NS 10's in all phases of recording and mixing.

The Event's only cost a few bucks more, and have a better low end, and will not fatique your ears anywhere as much as the NS 10's. It will take you at least a couple of years of working with them to really "know" them, but that is the same with any monitors you buy, so you might as well get something that is a little more pleasing to your ears, and also can handle low end better.

Ed

You'll find that NS10's are great to showyou what you mix is going to sound like on a regular sound system. Like you said, they're very honest. they're great if you're not up for buying monitors from Mackie orsomething..

Allright, seems you need 4 things. #1, a good set of ears and the ability to use them. #2, a very honest sound system. #3 a very accurate sound system and the bottle neck #4, Big Bucks ! Well of #1 I've got one (set), #2 those are my two HiFi sets and my friends systems, #3 that's what I want and thanks to you guys I know a lot more now and lastly #4 that's what I need !

BigBee

Back