monitors to mixer to computer setup

nattn

All,

Just registered and am hoping for some help. I am trying to set up a control room enviroment around my P3 900 computer. I have a Behringer 1604a mixer, 2 Alesis M1 Active monitors, a Behringer virtualizer pro efx processor, and my soundcard is a Soundblaster Platinum with 1 line in, 1 mic in, 1 line out, & 1 rear out ( for addtl speakers).

Before I bought the monitors, i had multimedia speakers running through the 'line out' on the back of my card & my mixer running from 'tape out' to 'Mic In' on my card. this allowed me to pre mix & record via cubase vst, but I had to do all mastering thru the software as opposed to my mixing board.

What i would like to do is run my new monitors and the computer thru the board. I just can't seem to get the configuration down. Currently I have the monitors going thru my main outputs onthe board & I am trying to draw the computer thru the board via my "tape in" connections.

my soundcard is not ideal, but due to budget I've got to work with it for now.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

I put my two soundcards' outputs into the regular channels -- actually, the stereo paired channels (hat share a single fader and EQ section, etc.) 5/6 and 7/8. I have 1 and 2 with the mic preamps piped to through the Alt 3-4 outs to two of my Delta card's ins. When I record, I assign the track with the mic to the Alt 3-4 bus.

Dpeneding on what you mix down to, this should work -- except you can never get more than a stereo mix out of the SB Live, so there's not much mixing to be done... you still will really need to mix within the recording software to have any control over individual tracks, unless you have a sound card with multiple outs.

Back