Monitors to Consider

penfloor95

Hello Forum,

I am using a an Alesis QS6.1 in conjunction with a Tascam multitrack recorder. Until now, I had been using my stereo for hearing what I create, but now I am ready to move on to bigger and better things, like monitors to really hear and make sound judgments about my music.
So my question is, which monitors should I consider?
I have a limited amount of space in my room, and the music I make usualy has deep bass patterns in them.
I appreciate any responses I get.
Thanx

I am kind of wondering the same thing. Many people say the Yamaha NS-10 is a great speaker to have cause it gives as flat of a response as you can ask for. Beware, however, cause I think that means it will sound pretty crappy if you are listening for enjoyment.

I have been looking at those and at the Alesis Point One and Point two monitors. I don't know which is better or if the Yamahas are the way to go. Just some monitors to consider. I think the Point Twos will give a good bass response for a small monitor (maybe too much??).

Well, the NS10M's are great monitors. Your using them for mixing purposes, but they are very nice to listen to as far as any other music you might put threw them.

I ended up buying event20/20's ($20 more). I like them, there good. A bit muddy in the low end, but not surprising for the size. They do have better low frequency presentation then the 10M's though, albeit a bit cloudy.

You really can't go wrong with either, but what's your budget?

Monitors within reasonable quality are for you to get used to. Once you have, you'll get good mixes almost every time. I've a pair of Point Sevens. Weak on the bass and I didn't like them initially but now that I got to know them, they are nice. .. oh yeah monitors are your friends, you need to spend time with them.

I hear good reviews about Tannoy Reveal and Event 20/20 but the one I'm very curious about are the Yorkville YSM monitors. Anyone has tried a pair of those ?

when my studio was in a remote space, iow, not in my home, i used event bas monitors. GREAT monitors. when i scaled down and moved the 'studio' to a small room off the bedroom, i bought event ps5's. for the money and size, they are incredible. i'd guess they down to about 45-50. i paid about 450usd for the pair from a local guitar center. they powered with 70w for the lows and 30w for the highs per speaker. event also makes a subwoofer system called the triad in the same price range. tho' many on this forum think subs are a bad idea in a small space. after some experimenting, i agree. hope this helps.

tony

I tested out the Yorksville monitors a while back and was not too impressed. The sound was ok but the stereo image seemed to be a little weak. Of course, this could have been caused by the room set-up, but they still seemed to have a bit of an empty sound.

I ended up buying the Tannoy Reveals, very nice. The manual has two pages dedicated to tuning the bass response to your room.

Okay, here is the question. Technically, I could buy those Tannoy Reveals, but would I be better off getting Yamaha NS-10s, Alesis Monitor One or Twos, or what?? I will be recording in my bedroom (groan), but hope to have a dedicated recording room in the Fall.

The NS-10's aren't exactly the nicest speakers after long mixing sessions, but from what I understand is that they are probably one of the most translatable speakers out there. There's a saying that goes, that if you can get your mix to sound great on the NS-10's, it should sound great on anything.....

Man, there used to be a time here when 20/20's were the ONLY monitors to get... and now Emeric is the only one sticking up for them. How times change... maybe in a few months everyone will be turned off of Art Dual MP's :D

Yamaha now also make a pair of powered speakers similar to the NS-10's (Cant remember what they are called)anybody know what I'm talking about- anyone ever heard them?

I think I have heard those powered Yamahas. They are a bit on the small side, kind of like the new Roland powered digital monitors. The sound was quite crisp, a little light on the bass response, but if you like to hear the hi-hats, those are the monitors to get. I do not remember the cost, but I think they were around $450 US. Don't quote me on that...

I've been very happy with my Alesis M1 Actives (bi-amplified monitors). They're about 499 at most retailers online as well as storefront. They have a good flat response. They leave a little to be desired in the very low frequency range, but on the whole, they are very solid monitors for the price.

those small powered yamahas you referred to are the msp5's (msp10's are the bigger version) - i just got a pair and the are excellent. i walked into the store expecting to get either the event 20/20bas or the alesis m1-actives (i had already decided to go amplified). i didn't like either of these at all. the guy at B&H in manhattan told me to check out the msp5's - i thought they actually sounded great for their size and for the money (about 240ea). i have a very small studio so space was a consideration. they blew away the alesis point 7's and the event ps5's which i was also considering. basically every time i liked something it was because it cost beaucoup dollars - i kept going back to the yamaha msp5's.

now, disregard everything i've just said because monitors are a very personal thing and every monitor ever mentioned on this board is capable of producing world class recordings. the above is just how i arrived at my personal decision!

One thing to consider (but not really)- the event 20/20bas are very impressive looking, of course that dosent mean they sound better, but if some one walks into you studio and sees them they'll go "cool speakers dude". Of course Alesis M2's are pretty manly too! :D

-jhe

Back