Monitors over Airtunes?

NoahP.

Hi guys,

Was wondering whether I could use the monitors I have set up with airtunes (at least I think thats the name) during my recording process?
I use Logic for the most part, sometimes reaper, and I was wondering whether I could listen to my work over the wifi.
Don't want to have a cable going across my room.

Thanks!

Noah

I doubt that this wireless transmitter has flat response. Why would you have a cable going across your room? Your monitors should be set up to point towards your mixing desk/computer area.

AirTunes (or AirPlay, or whatever it's called) is, I think, a digital data-transfer protocol, though it's entirely possible I'm wrong about that.

The question is what data format it's capable of sending in real time. If it can send a full, uncompressed (or at least losslessly compressed) stream of real-time data at 16 / 44.1k, then the set-up would be functionally identical to connecting to a 16/44.1k DA converter with a wire.

If, on the other hand:
- it compresses it to XXX kbits/s, it would by the same as listening to an XXX kbit/s MP3, which is probably not what you want; and/or
- it needs to buffer the datastream, it's also not going to work if you're trying to monitor and mix in real time.

Back