Monitors out of phase?

twonky

this might be the wrong forum for this question, but here it goes anydamnway:

I think something is wrong w/ my monitor set up (Tannoy Reveal passive). The other night I was playing around w/ a drum machine track at my studio. When I got waht I wanted I decided to lay the track down instument by instrument. Kick sound first. So I start listening to the kick and noticed that when I panned the kick sound going thru my mixer (mackie 1604VLZ) that it was much deeper and fuller sounding than when it was in the center.

So I thought that maybe I had accidentally wired my speakers out of phase as I recently attempted to add a Samson C Control for the talkback function. I didnt work for me so took it out of the monitoring chain. The speakers appear to be wired up fine.

The only thing I can think of that is totally different in that last 2-3 weeks is that I added the Auralex MO Pad under my monitors. I used to have the typical issue w/ bad rooms where the bass would be really boomy in the back of the room but I had found that right w/ in the listening "triangle" I heard it like I was supposed to. Now when I move my head even to the left or right 2 feet or so the increase in bass is VERY noticeable.

Any thoughts? Are there any reference CD that one can aquire to help dummies like me, make sure all their crap is wired up correctly?

Thanks
Twonky

Back