Monitors or good quality computer speakers?

Reggie49

G'Day Guy's,
I probably wearing out my welcome here with all the dumb questions I've been asking, but this one I think is a little more reasonable to ask, (I hope :))

On my desktop computer I'm using my Logitech computer speakers and getting reasonable results, (to my ear) I now need to buy some new speakers for my laptop, as I don't want to keep disconnecting and reconnecting all the time.

The thing is, do I spend $80.00 on a decent set of computer speakers, or for a few dollars more would you recommend a pair of monitor speakers at the cheap end of the scale? (if they exist)

Any suggestions on brands, types, etc and some sites to check out would be really appreciated, I'd much rather make a purchase on a recommendation from here than the local computer shop or Hi Fi store! :)

Cheers

Ron

G'Day Guy's,
I probably wearing out my welcome here with all the dumb questions I've been asking, but this one I think is a little more reasonable to ask, (I hope :))

On my desktop computer I'm using my Logitech computer speakers and getting reasonable results, (to my ear) I now need to buy some new speakers for my laptop, as I don't want to keep disconnecting and reconnecting all the time.

The thing is, do I spend $80.00 on a decent set of computer speakers, or for a few dollars more would you recommend a pair of monitor speakers at the cheap end of the scale? (if they exist)

Any suggestions on brands, types, etc and some sites to check out would be really appreciated, I'd much rather make a purchase on a recommendation from here than the local computer shop or Hi Fi store! :)

Cheers

Ron

If you are on a budget and need to look at the "cheap end of the scale", then it doesn't really matter what you get. If you are getting "reasonable results" with what you've got, then get something similar.

Good speakers reflect accurately what's been recorded, and what you are doing to the recording when mixing. They are the best way of getting a mix that will sound good on other systems. But good speakers are inherently expensive (the design, the selection of components and the build makes them expensive).

Cheap computer speakers are just not designed for that purpose, and nor are their equivalents. But, sometimes, you can work with them and get good results. Get what you can afford, work with it as best as you can, then, if you pursue this endeavour further, save for something that is designed for the job.

It may be helpful then to purchase a cheap sub woofer to add to the system. I know a sub for my computer only cost me $20.

:cool:

$80 computer speakers would be a disaster. Hell, they're a disaster for listening to mp3s. Computer speakers are focused almost entirely on getting out of the way of your mouse and computer screen. None of them are good for much no matter the price.

$80 won't get you anything useable new. Hit flea markets and thrift stores and try to find the best set of used full-range speakers you can find. Monitor/hifi doesn't really matter at the price you're talking. Just something in a nice big solid cabinet with actual woofers and tweeters.

It may be helpful then to purchase a cheap sub woofer to add to the system. I know a sub for my computer only cost me $20.

I don't back this up.

The subwoofer, at least in my case, gave a really piss poor representation of the work i was doing at the time. I had it sounding fucking epic in my room, but when i tested it in my car and a friends home stereo it sounded like fucking balls.

Alot more Mid's and hi's then i thought was actually there.

I think if you were to go with some mid to higher quality computer speakers that were two piece, the left and the right, youd be doing o.k.

Im thinking of doing the same myself, i can't justify a decent set of real moniotrs right now but there are alot of deals at garage sales right now for desktop speakers.

Buyer beware.

But also be aware that you get what you payfor so you gotta remember that if your sacrifcing price for your output signals.

Well I was only suggesting the sub to get a more fuller sound if going with cheap computer speakers.
And with any monitoring system that's not true you have to listen to your mix outside of the studio until you know your set ups sound and make accounts for it for when it does leave the studio.

To be honest for $80 dollars you aren't going to get an accurate representation of your mix whichever way you go.

I have recently bought my first pair of near-field monitor speakers and to be honest with you it is the best investment you can make. I would suggest saving up and buying something that is going to give you years of good mixes rather than blowing 80 bucks on something that is going to continually disappoint you.

That's my opinion anyway.

To be honest for $80 dollars you aren't going to get an accurate representation of your mix whichever way you go.
I have recently bought my first pair of near-field monitor speakers and to be honest with you it is the best investment you can make. I would suggest saving up and buying something that is going to give you years of good mixes rather than blowing 80 bucks on something that is going to continually disappoint you.
That's my opinion anyway.

^^^^Very well put !

Thanks for all the feedback guys.

Okay now comes the crunch question, are bookshelf type monitors a consideration or is the focus of what people are talking about here, full on HI Fi speakers, which aren't a consideration for me?

I guess what I'm looking from you guys is some brands and models that represents good value. I've made enough clangers going with what I reckon will work only to find I could have got as good, or better results and for a lot less money! :o

Cheers

Ron

Back