Monitors on a budget.

matt_barlow

Hi everyone. I pretty well am out of money but I need a set of monitors. What is the absolute least amount of money I can spend to get a decent pair of monitors. ebay is an option. If you could give brands and the price that would be great. I right now am using a pair of Sony U-50 speakers. Would the monitors yall mention be an improvement over these speakers. Anyway, thanks in advance, Matt

ewww... don't bother with those....

Look into Yorkvilles YSM-1s - either active or passive (depending on whether you have an amplifier or not)

M-Audio Pedophile SP-5b ($199):
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/srs7...96130596436/search/g=rec/detail/base_id/59391

Decent monitor, powered, cheap... great value. If you can get more money for better monitor then great.. but these will do for a tight budget.

If you have a good amp already then for 200 smackers you can get the yorkville YSM1i passive monitors. They are highly very liked around these parts (but I have not heard them.) I would guess they are superior to the Sp-5bs.

If your shooting for under 200$ then your in eBay territory... but I would be careful about buying speakers of any sort from there. Never know what was done to them.

I don’t know about your Sony speakers... but most Sony’s I have heard suck ass worse than Yamaha speakers. There are always exceptions though, I guess.

not a great deal @ $135...you do realize you'll need an amp with these?....

if you need the amp and monitor, maybe Id check out those Studiophiles.....

for just speakers Id check out Tannoy ProtoJ's or Yorksville YSM-1's......

the passives need an amp......they are about $218/pr......

Tannoy Proto J's go for $189/pr.....

its gonna be hard to do substantially better than your Sony Speakers without spending around $200.....

No, sony home stereo speakers would not work for monitors. But he's saying that if you spend that little money you won't get real monitors. As in the job they do won't be great, so might as well use the sony's until you save more money.

I think he mean't something like that.

So there is no way you could save up for something like a pair of Active Yorkville YSM1p's?

Sometimes i guess it's just not feasable, but if you could that would be ideal, it would be worth the wait i can pretty much guarantee.

I've heard iffy things about buying speakers on Ebay, just because you never know how long/hard they've been used, i mean the cones could be ground out like flour.

ambi said:
No, sony home stereo speakers would not work for monitors. But he's saying that if you spend that little money you won't get real monitors. As in the job they do won't be great, so might as well use the sony's until you save more money.

I think he mean't something like that.

thats almost exactly what i meant.....i think unless you break that price point, its hard to get much better quality than the Sonys to justify the $$$.....i do believe that you can get decent results with the Sonys for now....we've all started off there, and i imagine some still do......i think youll just spend more time testing mixes on other sources (boomboxes,car stereo) to see how they translate.....

Back