Monitors near monitor

Whyte Ice

The Next Vanilla Ice
I just got a new pair of monitors and they are great but I'm concerned about one thing. These are some loud speakers and I have them placed right next to my computer monitor (no place else to set them) and I'm afraid that the volume these things are blasting at will have a bad effect on my computer monitor. So I'm pretty much asking, will it ruin my computer monitor? I have them set about 1.5" away from my screen just to give you an idea.

Right now, placing these next to my computer monitor is my only option as I don't have a big enough space and I need these to be at ear level.

As long as they're shielded, there really shouldn't be a problem...

If you notice that the picture starts vibrating sympathetically, you may have to isolate something... Some firm neoprene (old mouse pads perhaps) under the video monitors (OR the audio monitors depending on the sound) might be a start. Of course, experimentation is key...

John Scrip - www.massivemastering.com

The MoPads from Aurelex are $30 and isolate pretty well. I understand they were designed for your situation.

I decided to take an alternative route from the Mopads and take the suggestions of fellow board members and stick neoprene mouse pads underneath the monitors. I put three mousepads under each monitor (to equal about 3/4") and it really doesn't seem to have solved anything. My computer screen still rumbles a lot. I even put some underneath my computer monitor as well and still.

Would getting Mopads really make a big difference from what I'm currently using?

Last edited:
Hey Massive Master, I checked out your site (which is really cool by the way) and viewed your gear page. I saw that you had these mini-stands for your BX-8's and wondering where you got those at? I searched eBay and this site and wasn't able to find anything. Do you use some kind of neoprene/padding underneath the speakers on those stands?

I also noticed you had some Wharfedale monitors. A friend of mine has a similar pair and you stated yours was modified. What did you modify if you don't mind me asking?

Those stands are 36's - They're just not visible below the desk. I think I got 'em at Guitar Center or something... There are little round "pyramids" (about the size of the tip of a 1/4" plug) on the tops.

The Wharfie's have modified crossovers - Not that they "really" needed it, I'm just "really" picky. Amazing sounding boxes, those things. Worth 5 times the price.

John -

A perfect pad would be those gels that they use as keyboard or mouse pad, but like MoPads, they are relative expensive.

My monitors sits on top of my HDR's, and like everyone else, concerned about the constant vibrations my monitors generate. In the meantime, I bought those "place pillows" from Macy's and amazingly, they have one the exact shape (rectangular) that my small monitors could sit above. These pillows are filled with foam. This is just a temporary fix of course.

Back