Monitors...Monitors...Monitors

GtrGtrGtr

I have a set of cheap M-Audio Monitors that were crap on the Tascam 2488 ...question ..best monitors for the money that sound like more money was spent? I am building from the ground up so far this is already acquired.. Rane headphone amp/Furmin power conditioner/ Tascam US1800/Tascam 750CDRW/and a small UPS to allow me to shut down in the event of a power outage(that happens alot here at the NJ Shore. I have listened to the computer posts and am acquiring a PC with a 27" monitor to hopefully eliminate problems with my 1800. Shopping for a good set of monitors that I will actually use as I never used the ones I have because they sound so bad ,so I mixed down in the cans. Thanks AGAIN to all who have helped and to those who will ! I will be (I'm sure) asking some more technical questions at the assembly stage when I receive my studio desk and start to put this stuff online. Thanks again fellow recording aficionados... :thumbs up:

At that price point and that big of a room; LSR 308s come in highly rated. For a Ben more, you can get the Equator D5s and you wouldn't be disappointed. Head to your local Sam Ash or Guitar Center and listen to some of your reference tracks and personal mixes on several sets. If you want flat, get a 2k test tone to set an spl meter and about a 2 minute sweep from 20 to 250 and watch to see how they react. That'll cue you in on the bottom end. Most monitors have pros and cons (they wouldn't sell if they didn't have something going for them). A lot of what monitors do for you is based on what your ears hear and what helps you hear it best.

At that price point and that big of a room; LSR 308s come in highly rated. For a Ben more, you can get the Equator D5s and you wouldn't be disappointed. Head to your local Sam Ash or Guitar Center and listen to some of your reference tracks and personal mixes on several sets. If you want flat, get a 2k test tone to set an spl meter and about a 2 minute sweep from 20 to 250 and watch to see how they react. That'll cue you in on the bottom end. Most monitors have pros and cons (they wouldn't sell if they didn't have something going for them). A lot of what monitors do for you is based on what your ears hear and what helps you hear it best.

Hey Broken I see you use the US1800 what software are you using in with it? Thanks in advance-Steve

$400 does limit you. The JBL LSR308s are on sale now for $200 each most places, normal price is $250 each.

The Equators are on sale now too for the same price, but they are only 5.25" woofers, and don't go as low in frequency as the JBL 8". Note, though, that the JBLs have rear-firing bass ports - meaning they have to be well away from the front wall, or you need bass traps behind them.

You mention 'sponge' regarding acoustic treatment. Don't buy acoustic foam if you haven't already. Invest in rockwool trapping as Atkron mentioned.

Last edited:
Seems many say that the screen will get full of open windows and at my age bigger is better lol

:thumbs up: I have 2 24" so I can set up some on top and some on the bottom. I'd like to have a third. :)

Hey Broken I see you use the US1800 what software are you using in with it? Thanks in advance-Steve

I use Reason, Amplitube and Reaper through the stock ASIO drivers. Reason is my go-to, and Reaper gets my SSD4 working and then I'll render the drum lines and drag them into Reason. I have Amplitube set up to go to 3/4 Out so I can patch it back into 11/12 In on the back and record directly into Reason. I'd do that with the SSD4 stuff, except I want my separate kick/snare/hat/toms/overheads/room channels for the mix.

:thumbs up: I have 2 24" so I can set up some on top and some on the bottom. I'd like to have a third. :)

I use Reason, Amplitube and Reaper through the stock ASIO drivers. Reason is my go-to, and Reaper gets my SSD4 working and then I'll render the drum lines and drag them into Reason. I have Amplitube set up to go to 3/4 Out so I can patch it back into 11/12 In on the back and record directly into Reason. I'd do that with the SSD4 stuff, except I want my separate kick/snare/hat/toms/overheads/room channels for the mix.

Yeah I would like to have two monitors (PC) But that will be another post as I have no clue how to split them and the program up ;)

Honestly, that part's easy. Once you tell Control Panel how you want the configuration of the monitors, you just drag and drop and the system remembers...Love having my mixer on the top monitor and having the sequencer and effects rack on the bottom. Very nice. :)
My third monitor would get used for the effects rack and add-ons (like SSD4 and Amplitube), clearing the screen with the sequencer up. Nice workflow, that.

Back