Monitors- JBL Control 1X or ESI nEar05?

jackiecorn

I am buying a pair of monitors for the first time.
I have come to two options with the same price.
First is the JBL Control 1X + NAD 2155 Power Amp
Since the Control 1X are not powered I will have to buy the NAD amp and thats also counted toward the total price.

The other option is the ESI nEar05 monitors
they are powered so I dont have buy an amp but they cost just as much as the above combination though.

I have heard great reviews on the JBL's but not too much from the ESI ones but I just dont know...

I am using them primarily for band rehersals in my small studio so I am looking for the best "band sounds" rather than the need to pump them up to a very high volume...I will also use them for mixing and music productions....so yeah...which setup should I get?

just got my nEar05 over the weekend... love them... made my mix a LOT flatter response (no more hifi outputs!!!)... but i guess anythings an upgrade..

it does need to be a decent volume to be balanced sounding... not excessively loud given its 5"... (much better than the 8" when i tried it at the store)

never tried the JBL so sorry cant really help

thanks its really great that someone has own one of them but it is hard to find someone with experience with both gears...
I guess your excitement over the nEar05 was for the change from hifi speakers to studio monitors.
Anyway I am a bit leaning on the JBL's as many stated them as industry standards so I guess they are not as much of an entry level as the nEar05.
If no one argues that I will get my JBL's and the amp tomorrow.
And yes I would love to compare them myself if they were not sold in ebay.

I just found your thread cos I was searching for something to do with the ESI nEar05's, I have a pair of what I think maybe an old model (I think they have eXperience tagged onto the name now.

I find mine really top heavy. I've just started mixing again after a few years out and am currently trying to mix a demo of my friend's band. On the monitors it sounds solid and well balanced. When I listened to it on headphones it sounded terrible. Really muffled with no top end on any of the parts. Needless to say I am highly disappointed. I remembered they had a certain characteristic from when I used them last but I thought it might have just been me in the past!

What I'm saying is I'd perhaps try something else (unless it's just my ears that are crap! lol)

Back