Monitors into Interface?

TheNightman77

Hey All,

When I originally started my set up, I had my Yamaha HS80m monitors plugged into the built in output of my computer via 1/8" connector (so I could listen to itunes, etc with them), and my computer ihooked up to my interface via firewire cable. However I also noted that there is a "Main out" on my MOTU828mk2 interface where I can plug in monitors. Would I notice any audible difference between the built in output on my computer and the main out on my MOTU? Or is this only here because the interface can act as a stand alone without a computer?

Thanks!

Hey All,

When I originally started my set up, I had my Yamaha HS80m monitors plugged into the built in output of my computer via 1/8" connector (so I could listen to itunes, etc with them), and my computer ihooked up to my interface via firewire cable. However I also noted that there is a "Main out" on my MOTU828mk2 interface where I can plug in monitors. Would I notice any audible difference between the built in output on my computer and the main out on my MOTU? Or is this only here because the interface can act as a stand alone without a computer?

Thanks!

Okay, i don't really know shit, but it sounds like if you have the MOTU set as the default out, I think you HAVE to plug your monitors into the interface itself. But I'm not totally sure I understand your question to the fullest. I personally would think you'd get better sound out of your MOTU than out of the computer out. But, what I don't know is, are you talking stock soundcard or had you installed something else; what is your firewire interface, the MOTU?

Thanks,
Kirstin (and listen to everyone else instead of me, lol)

I've been using my monitors plugged into the comp for about 6 months now, and it seems to work great, both for recording and other applications. I still have my stock soundcard, and yes Im using the MOTU as my firewire interface. The signal is being routed through the interface to my computer and the monitors are plugged into the default out currently. I do have the option of changing the default out from the "built-in output" (my computer) to "main out 1 - 2" which is the MOTU. My only question is could there be any improvement by plugging the monitors into the MOTU main out rather than my computer.

What you are talking about is the difference between using the computer's built-in soundcard and a professional one. The MOTU is a professional audio product and the electronics are massively better than your computer's.

So use the outputs on the MOTU - the sound quality should jump out at you as being much better - a lot better! :)

You can set the MOTU up to be the default output for all your computer's audio like YouTube etc... and the MOTU provides you with a nice volume control.

Why would you EVER want to listen to music on a stock soundcard with 40-cents worth of chips in it when you have a Motu (or any other high-end interface) plugged in????

Would you put a Briggs&Stratton lawnmower engine in your car?

I ALWAYS use my 828mkII....

Back