Monitors...how loud?

Gabriel_0

When mixing and mastering is it best to have the wharfdales 8.2A at max volume or 1/2 volume? I'm using a Zoom MRS1608CD for recording purposes.

TIA
Gabriel

Well my set-up is considerably different from yours, but I keep mine set at 12 o'clock and have a passive attenuator between my soundcard and Wharfedales to control the volume.

It's not a good idea to record/mix at really loud levels for a long periods of time. Ear fatigue and potential hearing damage etc.

MadAudio said:
Well my set-up is considerably different from yours, but I keep mine set at 12 o'clock and have a passive attenuator between my soundcard and Wharfedales to control the volume.

It's not a good idea to record/mix at really loud levels for a long periods of time. Ear fatigue and potential hearing damage etc.

I have my wharfdales set at 12 also. Was just wondering really if it makes any difference in the final mix quality is all. According to this answer it doesn't sound like it does. Thanks for the feedback :)

Gabriel_0 said:
I have my wharfdales set at 12 also. Was just wondering really if it makes any difference in the final mix quality is all. According to this answer it doesn't sound like it does. Thanks for the feedback :)
I'm Gald your using you ears;)

I agree with the back to reading. When your mixing something its a good idea to mix at a bunch of different levels. Start in the median somewhere. Then crank it up for a couple minutes to see if any freq. jump out at you. The bass will certainly be percieved louder. Read about the fletcher munson curve. Also turn it down down down. Till everything is barely audible. Most sounds shoud disapear but if you can hear the vox just a tiny bit and maybe the snare drum just a tiny bit your in good shape. Also mix on many different speakers. Have a cheap boom box set up and monitor off of that. Set up some cpu speakers and listen on those a bit.

Massive Master said:
(A) What are you using for attenuation?

(B) 85dB would be a good starting point.

Currently I'm not using an attenuator or limiter. Guess it's important piece to this puzzle huh?

Thanks for the 85dB hint ... :)

audioholic said:
I agree with the back to reading. When your mixing something its a good idea to mix at a bunch of different levels. Start in the median somewhere. Then crank it up for a couple minutes to see if any freq. jump out at you. The bass will certainly be percieved louder. Read about the fletcher munson curve. Also turn it down down down. Till everything is barely audible. Most sounds shoud disapear but if you can hear the vox just a tiny bit and maybe the snare drum just a tiny bit your in good shape. Also mix on many different speakers. Have a cheap boom box set up and monitor off of that. Set up some cpu speakers and listen on those a bit.

Now this is some great advice! Thanks for sharing ... :)

I aquired a cheapie SPL meter from RatShack. Works like a charm...turn it up to 85 dB and hope for something nice to listen to.

Gabriel_0 said:
Currently I'm not using an attenuator or limiter. Guess it's important piece to this puzzle huh?
Gabriel_0 - Yeah it would be a good idea for you to have any easy way to turn it up or down. Here's what I'm using and I'm most pleased with it: http://www.zzounds.com/a--2676837/item--VIOPATCH It also has a second input and a mono switch. The sole review that's on the zZounds site is mine, BTW. There are similar units out there as well.

Last edited:
I resist the urge to turn up because my mixes sound far better around 50dB. It fatigues the mind quicker than the ear.

Also, don't turn it up because "it sounds better loud". Everything sounds better a bit louder. If it still sounds good when it's not so loud, that's what you need.

Wow...some great advice guys. I certainly appreciate all the feedback, every lil trick helps enormously :)

Thanks again!
Gabriel

Last edited:
Back