Monitors are really weak...

Omniscient

Since figuring out how to set my audio card's drivers to ASIO I have to now playback with my monitors. I don't know if I have them hooked up wrong or what...

From the red and white output on my sound card I have an RCA cord going into the tape IN on my mixer. Then I have the monitor cord going from the left and right inputs on the monitor control room output. When recording or just talking into the mic sound comes from the monitors. It's louder than when I try to play back what I have just recorded. I can barely hear what I just recorded.

Could we get a little more information? Where are you plugging the mic into?

Comp. soundcard---RCA---->tape ins on mixer

control room outs---->----->------monitors.

Is this correct?

From what you said, it just sounds like you have to turn down the mic monitor level, but I can't say until we know what soundcard you have etc...

Blah I've made so many posts just on how to use all my stuff I forgot some people don't know what I use. Although people here have told me how to set my stuff up without knowing what I use.

Anyway.

Behringer MX24. Mics into the mono channels. 1/4" to RCA from the main outputs on the mixer to the inputs on the M-Audio 2496 card. RCA to RCA from the outputs on the audio card to the left and right tape ins on the mixer. Monitor cord from the left and right monitor/control room jack to the actual monitors. I hope that was bland enough for me to get away without having to type a whole lot, yet can still be understandable.

pretty sure you need a power amp in between the mixer and speakers right? i have the same mixer and wondered the same thing. that was the conclusion i came to

I didn't even think of that, Niimo. Good thought!

Yeah, you will need a power amp IF they are passive monitors. If they are active, DO NOT, I repeat, DO NOT plug a power amp into them. BAD!!!!! If there is a power switch and a volume control on the monitors, and (obviously) you plug them in, then they are active. If not, then they are passive. What monitors do you have?

I wouldn't use the PA head, I suppose you could, but probably won't sound as good as it could with a dedicated power amp. Especially because the Kustom PA that one of my friends had, well, I didn't like it a whole lot. To put it mildly. When you do buy a power amp, make sure and check the wattage rating of your speakers just to make sure that you don't blow them out.

Oh, and one more thing, make sure that you don't send the signal coming from the M-Audio into the main outs, otherwise you will set up a feedback loop (I believe that the tape outs are just a duplicate of the mains, at least that is how they are on my mixer :p )

Last edited:
Yea. There passive. I forgot how I had them set up with the small 6 channel. The main outs on my mixer are 1/4" and the tape in's are RCA's. I do get some sound from them but it's barely audible. So I guess I'm out to go get a power amp. What the best bang/buck?

well if you want to go extremely cost effective you can use a home entertainment receiver. but if you don't mind spending a bit more i would suggest.......asking someone else because i don't know shit really and wouldn't feel right giving you advice. but i'm useing a home ent. receiver now and i'm looking into power amps also. so i'm in the same boat.

Back