Monitoring while recording

lasagne

I fancy Fancy
Hi. I just got my Firebox today. I'm testing it with SX3 and I can't get to be able to monitor through headphones while recording. I went into SX3 to check the direct monitoring button, but this is greyed out.

Anyone have any ideas ?

Thanks

OK, I got it figured, although it does sound like there's a kind of chorus effect on my voice through the headphones, but it records without this strange effect.

lasagne said:
OK, I got it figured, although it does sound like there's a kind of chorus effect on my voice through the headphones, but it records without this strange effect.

Chorus or reverb effect? Sounds like latency or a phase issue.

lasagne said:

your obviously hear what your recording... plus what you've recorded... get my drift???? seems strange you cant do direct monitoring with that box....

lasagne said:

You want to use direct monitoring. What you're hearing is your voice with some latency. If you have any effects enabled, it will likely sound even stranger. Look for the direct monitoring check box.

hardware solution

my firepod has a knob on the front marked MIXER (one side inputs and one playback) turn it one way (playback), and you're hearing yer voice as it's sent thru the computer, comressed, reverbed, etc... then back out to you. This all takes your computer a moment, so you hear a mini delay, like a chorus.

If you turn the knob the other way (inputs), you hear your voice before it's sent to the computer and back, without "latency." Latency= the time it takes to go thru your computer and back.

I bet the firebox has this same knob.

Also, turn it to the "latency: side, if you will, to hear your tracks played back when you want to mix them down or check them.

Enjoy!

If this does not work, travisinflorida seems to be on top of the software side of things, so ask him :)

1. Are you using the ASIO drivers? If the direct monitoring box is greyed out the hardware (or the current drivers) won't support it.

2. Does the Firebox have it's own mixer applet which allows direct monitoring? If so use that one.

Last edited:
Back