Monitoring thru the computer....

MightyPOOsticK

Hey guys heres my set up:

Cool Edit Pro
Mackie VLZ pro 1202
Delta 66

Currently im going from: Drum mics into Mackie (mixer), mixer into Delta 66, and Delta 66 into computer.

Normally I've been listening to everything thru the mixers headphone output. But I wanted to be able to listen from the computer. The reason for this is because I want to be able to do multiple takes and not have to record the whole thing over again.

I tried going from one of the outs on the Delta 66 back into the mixer (thinking then I would be able to hear what was playing on the computer) but it didnt work.

Thanks for the help.

Not all the outs on your Delta66 are identical. Go into your control panel and route the signals to the channels you want.

MightyPOOsticK said:
I tried going from one of the outs on the Delta 66 back into the mixer (thinking then I would be able to hear what was playing on the computer) but it didnt work.

That should work. Run your mics into the mixer, the Direct Outs into the soundcard, and the soundcard output back into another channel on the mixer.

Stealthtech said:
Why not just hook your monitors or speakers directly from your 66's outs 1 & 2.

I think thats what I need to do its just while I'm recording I can't hear whats being played. I was wondering if there was an option to choose that would allow me to hear what was being recorded while it was recording.

I just started tracking with the headphones and doing this. I set the wardware in to the monitor mixer and it works for me. I may have had to set my primary recording device to be the monitor mixer in windows to do this. I'm assuming the quality of the recorded track remains the same whether I"m tracking off of the monitor mixer or the main delta device.

Ok now I've got my computer close enough so that I can listen from the computer. But all I need to know is if there is a way to record AND listen to whats being recorded in Cool Edit Pro?

MightyPOOsticK said:
Ok now I've got my computer close enough so that I can listen from the computer. But all I need to know is if there is a way to record AND listen to whats being recorded in Cool Edit Pro?
I might not be understanding the problem correctly, so if i'm missing it...:)
You should be able to monitor the tracks you have already recorded by sending them back through the mixer, then to the speakers or headphones. (Maybe that's already happening.)
Then, as you add the new tracks, you should also be able to hear the new signal at the same time also through the mixer.
That gets both sets of signals in your monitor without latency delay problems, and lets you use the mixer to get a blend in your headphones while your tracking.
If :D that's what you were going for, or you need help with the routing, glad to help. :)
Wayne

Set HW Out 1/2 to "Monitor Mixer" in the delta control panel and you will hear playback while you're recording. You don't need to do anything special with a mixer or anything. You might also check that cool edit isn't auto-muting the tracks for you.

Slackmaster 2000

Back