Monitoring recording levels

Polaris20

So I am playing with the CEP2.1 demo, and I am loving it. Couple questions:

1. How do I monitor the recording levels from my input, before I actually hit record? So far I only get readings on the bottom VU once I press record.

2. Can I play with effects plug-ins in real-time, like Cubasis, or do I have to wait to add effects after I record the track dry?

1. Click Options > Monitor Record Level.

2. After you record the tracks dry you can add effects without actually changing the dry file and you can remove them at any time. On the track you will see the FX button to add and remove effects.

You can't actually use the effects while you are recording.

That's right...
scottboyher said:
You can't actually use the effects while you are recording.
with CEP...

Anyway, if you have SONAR, it allowed you to do so by enabling "Input Monitoring" in Options --> Audio. Just insert the fx into the track, click the audio engine, and ready to run. Unfortunatelly, latency & CPU power is big problem issue here :(

Do scottboyher way is alot better (Track celan, add effect latter) :)

;)
Jaymz

...please consider Pre-ordering Homerecording.Comp CD's Vol 2 :)

I downloaded the demo for Sonar too, because I have been using Acid 4 to record and arrange, but it won't do more than one track at a time, and it won't allow me to select only one input on my Mia.

I thought I was either going to shoot myself or throw the computer out the window with Sonar. I didn't think it was very user friendly at all.

CEP is the closest thing to a multitrack Acid. I really do like it, and I think I am going to go ahead and buy it.

I wish SF still made Vegas Audio, because it would be nice to have everything integrated like they had it (I have Sound Forge too).

But I am not spending $450 bucks for video features I don't need.

So CEP2 it is! Thanks for the help guys!

"After you record the tracks dry you can add effects without actually changing the dry file and you can remove them at any time. On the track you will see the FX button to add and remove effects."

Yeah, handy. I still haven't used this feature in 2.1 yet though. Question: when you get things sounding the way you want them to, how do you save it all finally? Just by mixing it down?

dobro said:

Yeah, handy. I still haven't used this feature in 2.1 yet though. Question: when you get things sounding the way you want them to, how do you save it all finally? Just by mixing it down?

I believe all you have to do is lock it and it will go with the mixdown.

Nope.

You can go back in and unlock it and change whatever you need to. Kind of a neat thing I suppose but I can't use it because it really takes up the CPU power and my computer is about 3 years out of date. :D

ok I give up. Can you only buy CEP2 directly from Syntrillium, or can you buy it online or at GC/Sam Ash for less?

Polaris20 said:
Damn. Oh well, it's still not a bad price.

No way man. This is the best way to buy anything- straight from the dealer. One, you don't have to pay any crazy extra fees, and Two, you don't have to give the corporate giants any more money- you just support a buisness doing its best...

And then it gets bought out by Adobe...

It's still better than buying it from Best Buy, I guess :rolleyes:

Buying the boxed set has two advantages: first, you get a CD (no danger of corrupted downloads). Second, you get a nice manual included - it's the same information as you find in Help, but it's a book, all conveniently laid out sequentially in chapters and sections. Books are nice.

dobro said:
Buying the boxed set has two advantages: first, you get a CD (no danger of corrupted downloads). Second, you get a nice manual included - it's the same information as you find in Help, but it's a book, all conveniently laid out sequentially in chapters and sections. Books are nice.

Yeah I am going to get the boxed version. I don't mind downloading freeware (legal freeware, such as plug-ins, demos, etc). but if I'm paying over $200 for something, I want a real CD, and a real manual. It's worth the extra $20 or bucks.

Back