monitoring problem with 'distance' recording

andy w

Hi. Is this the right forum??

Our brilliant singer has moved to Malta! The plan is that I send backing tracks and she records. Then she sends me the results for mixing in UK.

With the current setup (using Zoom) we can chat & discuss until she starts recording. But THEN I can’t hear the backing so I get no sense of how everything’s fitting together.

So the problem is how do I, as her producer, hear both her vocals and the backing track so we can discuss afterwards what worked and what didn’t?

Can anyone suggest a way we can set things up so I can hear both track and singer without the backing track leaking into her recording? (She’s recording into a laptop)

If we keep using something like Zoom, the monitoring quality at my end will be poor but I think that would be ok for the purpose. She knows what she’s doing in terms of getting high quality recordings.

Sorry that’s a bit long but we’d be grateful for some brainwaves!
Andy

She's recording properly with an interface? I work with a colleague and we use a NAS drive. All I do is use zoom as the communication - and rig things so voice goes left and track with a loud click count in at the start goes right on their recording, at the end of the take, they save the track to the NAS, and shortly after I can load it into cubase and play it. Zoom lets me hear what they're recording, so I can say whooooaaaaaa when they sing through a mistake.That workflow works for me.

Thanks Rob. We're testing with a USB mic but will have an interface & decent mic arriving soon.
But am I right that your setup will still not let you hear singer and back track 'live' while she's recording? (She's Geneva btw) We'll cope if that's the only way, but it's instant back & forth discussion we'd like to have if we can. Or have I misunderstood?

No - I've not found any way to do out and back simply. we did try to use OBS and stream a feed from the distant end, but while it works reliably with low bitrate audio, it's prone to stuttering when you increase the quality. However - if you have good net connection both ends, it could be good enough and does give you virtually real time monitoring. The sound is still 'odd' though - it sounds compressed and weak. It could work well enough for you - if you still have the real full quality files they can transfer afterwards.

I attempted to have a pianist play in the USA and a singer in my studio, sending both ways and we just couldn't get the timing right - the two people react to each other in the room together that didn't work remotely. I note the facebook streaming seems to have quite good sound? It could be worth trying that and seeing what the results are?

Thanks again. I've installed OBS and I'm trying to set it up the way we'd need. I'm not very techy but I hope I'll get there!
Andy

Back