Monitoring of vocal recording

Zuan23

Hi,
I tried to monitor my vocal while recording. The vocal is noisy and too harsh while I am singing, but after recording, the track sounds pretty good.
I am using babyface pro and two routings in totalmix are tried separately:
1. Microphone input channel to headphone output
2. Software playback input (buffer size:128, latency: 3ms) to headphone output

Both of them sound almost the same.
I also tried to inverse the phase, the sound changed but still worse than the recorded one.

I want to hear my voice during recording as good as the recorded one. Would anyone help me solve this issue? Thank you!

Post a clip.

The monitoring is the problem? Use cup type headphones, over ear, closed back. Don't let any noise through.

For vocals I am convinced everything on the radio is an effected process, a designed chain from a master sound engineer. That sound comes from the talent of the guy in front of the mic and the one behind the mixing board. I think a vocoder is used to inject white noise, or static shhhh, to thicken the vocal. Then digital reverb to smooth it out.

Thank you so much for the helpful advice.

Sorry for not able to post links or upload file due to I am a newbie. You can access my dry vocal by searching "user-557472913" on soundcloud.

I am using a closed back over ear headphone. But after reading your reply, I checked the headphone and found some sound leakage. Maybe this is the point.

Because I am not a professional, I do all the process by myself. I didn't use any other equipment like compressor, EQ or reverb, so I am confused by the different of sounds during and after recording.
If you find something strange in my clip please let me know. Thank you!

Back