Monitor takes too much time to turn on!!

alonso

When I hit the power button of my pc, the monitor turns on about 20 to 30 seconds later, just when the posibility to enter the BIOS is almost gone, this is really freaking me out. Any ideas how to make it turn on sooner???:confused:

My BIOS doesn't take 20 secs to do a post, no freakin way!!!!!! Seriously guys, the other PC I have, with windows 98, the "problematic" one has XP, the second I turn it on, the monitor turns on about 5 secs afterwards. This is surely freakin me out because it has me thinking there is a problem with the PC and it won't start. This anguish everytime I turn on my PC is killing me....Well it is not that bad but it always scares me a bit...:p

The monitor is brand new, and it is not the warm up period, it is the turn on click sound that takes that long, the warm up is pretty fast, actually.

Try returning it to the shop, or calling the monitor company. You probably got busted equipment. Failing that, I doubt there's much you can do.

I once had a problem similar to this, all I did was unplug the monitor and unplug the cable and plug it all back in.

Aw, it's probably nothing. I doubt it's really 20-30 seconds because your system should almost be completely booted up by then on XP.

I see this kind of thing a lot...especially on newer systems where they black screen over the POST information...it makes the XP spash a little more dramatic. You might disable "fast boot" options if it really bugs you.

To get into the BIOS if you have this problem....just tap the 'del' key a few times after you power it up (or whatever key combo is required to get into the BIOS on your system) ....you'll still get into the BIOS no problem.

Slackmaster 2000

It might have something to do with API, or the way your video card talks to your monitor. Try going into bios and changing your API/monitor settings to always on - never put the monitor to sleep. If that works you'll know what the problem is.

I'l take a look at my BIOS setting. Something else that is bothering me is that about every 12 times I start my PC, the monitor doesn't start and when I turn it on, it displays " No signal or video input", I restart again and then everything is fine. I am really starting to think the monitor is screwed or theres is some kind of problem with my video drivers. By the way, I have a brand new Gainward Geforce ti 4200.....Now, device manager or system info don't display any kind of trouble with the device. But the other day, after power on I got an error "isass.exe could not run" or something like that. After rebooting, this error did not show up again. Any thoughts?

yikes - that doesn't sound good. I'd check for updated drivers for your Geforce. Is there a possibility you can try the monitor on another system to rule out the possibility it's defective?

also

just an addition to something you said earlier, the drivers won't fix your performance in the boot process before windows.
I have an older moniter that takes a while to warm up..sometimes it comes up sometimes it takes a while..usually i'll let it boot up once then restart it and it works fine.
dlv

Back