Monitor Speakers????

mousedadrummer

Junior Engineer
Ok, ive been recording for a while now, starting to get a good collection of gear. I have been using my computer speakers to monitor and mix....dont get me wrong, they are pretty good computer speakers, however i think its time i got some decent monitors. After going to Turnkeys in London last week, i like the look of the KRK Rockit 5s, they looks good and not too expensive, i could probably pick some up for £200 if i look around, Im just wondering if anybody could recommend some that I might be able to find cheaper?

Some of the recordings ive made can be found at:
www.myspace.com/onlyofyouuk

my mic list is as follows:

Rode NT1
Takstar PCM 6100 x2
Shure SM57 x2
Sennheiser e604
Akg D112
And a few other cheap mics that i only occasionally use

Thanks

You're really looking at the lower end of things with the rocket 5's. I'm not trying to be snooty or anything. Just saying that of all the equipment that you will use, monitors are as important as it gets. They are your insight into what you are capturing in your recordings. I'd strongly suggest you don't skimp on monitors and do a fair amount of research before purchasing. Most 6 inch speakers have a hard time representing low end well enough for you to tell what is really going on when you mix. Even some 8 inch speakers don't do that great. So i'm a bit leary of a 5 inch speekers. Where ever your monitors fall short you will end up over compensating or at best shooting in the dark.

I guess my point is. If you can, splurge on your monitoirs. If you can't, at least don't go looking for the cheapest ones you can buy. The rocket 5's will no doubt be better than your computer speakers, but buy how much.

Remember, the importance of good monitors can not be overstated:)

Good Luck.

F.S.

I was in the same situation, using computer speakers. I also got a pair of the KRK 5's. Let me just say, they may not be the best, but they are lightyears ahead of the poop I was using.

Back