Monitor Recomendation

Fariz

I have a budgett of $150 and i dont really know anything about monitors, so guys can any1 reccomend me a good one i can get for that price, not to big not to small :) thank you

I doubt there are any 'good' monitors for that price, especially a pair. You could get ONE KRK Rokit 5 for that price. Even that isn't a great monitor, but a lot of people will say they are decent. I use the Rokit 8's and I like them. You could also get M-Audio BXA5 for about the same price as the KRKs. I hear they are decent as well.

I would very highly recommend saving up for better. Your monitoring is by far, the most important part of your (or any) recording chain. Skimp anywhere else - But don't skimp on your monitors.

I would very highly recommend saving up for better. Your monitoring is by far, the most important part of your (or any) recording chain. Skimp anywhere else - But don't skimp on your monitors.

That said, consider getting some room treatment as well to get the most out of the monitors you do choose.

I'm wanting yamaha HS80m's with the HS10W subwoofer myself. I'll likely end up with HS50m's though given the size and wattage and price. I used to have BX8's, which I got used for $300 for the pair. Decent, but 225W EACH didn't play well with this old house. Not when on the same wire as 450W PSU on the computer, and 450W 42" HDTV. i.e. 450W x3. That and they didn't really have a soft mode IMO. They were pretty loud even turned down a lot and with attenuated input.

Technically you don't "need" monitoring at that level. You can analyze the waveform for frequencies and other traits if you have a clue about the goal. But they do help a lot to ID any extra noises that you might not otherwise be aware of. And don't want to have in your result. If I had a nickel for every top 50 song out there with a faint 1st responder blaring away in one of it's tracks. It's damn annoying to be driving down the road, hear that siren and turn off the radio, and slow down and maneuver to the side of the road. All because some deaf guy / gal, released a song with that in it's content. Same with a phone ring and other things. When you have good monitoring abilities, it gets difficult to tell the recorded from the real version of things. Not quite like the old days where the background hiss and lack of clarity was a dead giveaway.

Technically you don't "need" monitoring at that level. You can analyze the waveform for frequencies and other traits if you have a clue about the goal.
I can't begin to say how much I disagree with that statement...

It's a youtube thing. All we record are cats misbehaving anyway...

I never said that it was an ideal way to do things. But you don't technically have to HEAR the recording to SEE it's contents. It's all 1's and 0's to the computer. Do you think that your plugins are hearing your tracks before and after.... Or just blindly dishing out results based on a preconceived ideal (formula).

It's a youtube thing. All we record are cats misbehaving anyway...

I never said that it was an ideal way to do things. But you don't technically have to HEAR the recording to SEE it's contents. It's all 1's and 0's to the computer. Do you think that your plugins are hearing your tracks before and after.... Or just blindly dishing out results based on a preconceived ideal (formula).

The plugins may not be hearing the tracks, but you're plugins can't automatically make something sound good. YOU, the listener has to determine that and set the plugins to do so. And just being able to see something gives you no basis to apply those plugins. You have to hear it, which is why a good monitoring chain is essential. If I gave you, say, a 12 track song, (or even 2 tracks for that matter) there is no possible way you could get a decent mix by just looking at it and not listening to it. Even if you do listen to it, relying on what it looks like isn't going to get you far either.

You can listen to it without studio monitors. You won't hear everything that is there, but you can hear it by other means. But like I said, not ideal. But you can hear it, and on what your target gear might just be, in terms of translates well. I used to have studio monitors and will likely have some again eventually. But what sounded great on those, didn't always sound great anywhere else. i.e. I boosted 4dB for the low end on a Tuba Christmas, and that sounded good on the monitors. But in the car all you got to hear was the car rattling.

Two years later and my current trend is to do almost the exact opposite boost, +3dB to favor the high end. Basically there is no one answer. You need good monitors to hear the annoyances, you need bad monitors to know what your stuff sounds like to everyone else on different gear. And with both you'll still likely look at the statistics for the content, to figure out what is wrong with it. Where monitors alone means all you know is that it's not right. And might be able to guess as to why. Or trial and error and error and error and ....

I have a budgett of $150 and i dont really know anything about monitors, so guys can any1 reccomend me a good one i can get for that price, not to big not to small :) thank you

If I "had to" spend no more than 150 on monitors (right now I am going cheap with just my headphones, and amp and my "ok" computer speakers until i've got the cash) I'd get the m-audio studiophile av40's, or if you can integrate it into your system, the klipsch promedia

Back