Monitor popping on shut down

scottr

I recently installed a new power supply and motherboard into my protools digi001 rig and ever since, my monitors have been popping when I power on the computer or shut it down. It is especially bad when I shut down. Does anyone know what aspects of a motherboard or power supply could cause this? What kind of damange can this do to my speakers?

Scott

I'm not sure why it does it, but I know it will fuck up your speakers...

Just turn your monitors on after you start the computer, and off before you shut down the computer... Listen to John.

I've heard this plenty of times... Any insight as to why a change in power supply would cause this? Sure was nice when I didn't have this problem.

Scott

Massive Master said:
You should always kill your amps before killing your - Name it - Mixer, DAW, etc.

On last, off first. No exceptions.

And yes, it can damage your speakers. Depends on the power of the hit.

John Scrip - www.massivemastering.com

I'm not a scientist (and I don't play one on TV) but perhaps your old power supply "ramped" the power instead of popping it in and out.

Either way, you should always assume that there's going to be a POP on startup & shutdown of your gear.

If you were lucky enough to have avoided it since day 1... Well, you're really lucky. The vast majority of systems will have some sort of DC type spike on start/shut.

"Get used to it - It's the way of the World" (can't remember what movie that's from).

John -

Back