Monitor placement

c9-2001

hey i'm using a pair of 20/20's in my home studio... it sounds good but i had a question about placement.

right now i have them on the sides and the tweeter is to the outside.. shoud i keep them like that or should the tweeter be closer and the woofers to the outside?

:cool: Do some careful A-B listening, I think you will find the stereo effect will reveal it's self with the tweeters " in ".

da MUTT

muttley said:
:cool: Do some careful A-B listening, I think you will find the stereo effect will reveal it's self with the tweeters " in ".

da MUTT
"
it did.. i set them up then i set them in and i'm not changing the placement.. they sound great

Not that it's practical, but the "ideal" placement is this:

• Vertically oriented, on stands, tweeters level to your ears, a few feet away from any walls, angled inwards and creating an equilateral triangle with the listening position, and with no reflective surfaces between (or near) you and the monitors.

Of course this doesn't work for most applications. But try working backwards from this ideal, making as few compromises as possible.

Thomas

http://barefootsound.com

I was made a believer in the fact that your monitors should always stand up by reading the manual that came with my Tannoy Reveal monitors. The manual basically said "Because you bought Tanny studio monitors, you obviously know how to hook them up, so let's talk about how to place them." I added a link below to download the manual. They have a lot of tips and tricks on monitor placement. Even though you don't have Tannoy monitors, the manual addresses issues that anyone with studio monitors should look at.

http://www.tannoyna.com/professional/scripts/download.cgi?file=uman&product=Reveal

the logical way is to put your speakers where the the name of them is right side up or 'normal' for reading... for yorkville for ex. you can only read the logo when they're vertical so thats the proper way for them at least thats how the manufacture intended them to be used.

they sound smoother with the tweeter in and the woofers to the outside..
the stereo imanging is very smooth too.. i'll set them up and see how i like it but i know l like them the way i have them

c9-2001 said:
they sound smoother with the tweeter in and the woofers to the outside..
the stereo imanging is very smooth too.. i'll set them up and see how i like it but i know l like them the way i have them
Sounding smoother may not always be good. The idea is to have them sound as accurate as they can and then make your mix sound smooth, so you should set them the way they sound most accurate. If they sound smooth because you are adjusting for your tweeters being on the outside, your mix may sound unpredictable on other speakers because you are compensating for an inacuracy in your monitors.

Ditto,
You're probably getting phasing too, and don't even talk about the sweet spot, you probably only have a very small one.
Maybe you can get a chair, and strap your head in so it doesn't move. Just kidding.

As others have said IMO you should go with what the manufacture recommends.

T

fierojoe said:
Sounding smoother may not always be good. The idea is to have them sound as accurate as they can and then make your mix sound smooth, so you should set them the way they sound most accurate. If they sound smooth because you are adjusting for your tweeters being on the outside, your mix may sound unpredictable on other speakers because you are compensating for an inacuracy in your monitors.

Back